Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello !

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hunnytree

Hunnytree

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:23 AM

Brand new here. This looks like a fantastic site. Seems to cover the information that was missing from my new freeware, WinPatrol, and that would have been available in WinPatrol Plus. I'm not particularly computer literate. Just a heavy user. ;o)

I see SO much information in the forums, it's beyond me to get thru it to figure out where to post this. So...I'm just starting from where I'm at.

Just installed WinPatrol per advice of the local TV station and sure enough, did find several items in Startup that didn't look right. Googled one of the file names and found Bleeping Computer, which confirmed my suspicions about the offending files. Read thru the info re: files that didn't look right. (Had already "Disabled" them thru WinPatrol, which tells me that if I "Disable" a program in WinPatrol it will automatically be removed. It will also be removed whenever it is detected in the future. WinPatrol Help explained (as BleepingComputer did) that some programs have a bad habit of returning after they have been removed from the Startup Programs list. WinPatrol advised that I just leave these programs as disabled and noted that they will be removed every time they reappear.

Ok. So far so good.

Got to the tutorial that explains how to remove the files. That's where I got stuck with questions I thought I'd throw back here.

Question: Do I need to do all of the steps in the tutorial. It kind of looked to me like I could pass by a whole series of steps since I had WinPatrol installed; e.g. AutoRuns, Restart in Safe Mode, etc.

Rather, it looked to me like I could skip to step #7: "Now that we made it so it will not start on boot up, you should delete the file using My Computer or Windows Explorer. "

What do you think?

p.s. I was immediately asked not to post my problem here, but honestly, I really don't know my way around here at all, so I am clueless as to where the "appropriate forum" might be. Please feel free to redirect my post to the appropriate spot. I'll try to get more familiarized.

Edited by Hunnytree, 10 November 2005 - 12:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 04:20 AM

Could you tell us what Tutorial and what files are you trying to remove?
:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users