Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bookmark Grouping

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John Bull

John Bull

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

I have hundreds of Bookmarks and many are related issues. At present they are all scattered around and I simply cannot find them.

Is there a simple way of collating relative Bookmarks into say a Folder located in the Bookmarks listing ?

If I could create a folder, then look through my Bookmarks to drag and drop all related items into it, then when the folder comes up on the listing, to click it and see the contents listed so I can select them at a glance, it would be a great help.

Can I do this ? If so how ?

John B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:37 PM

What browser are you using?

If Firefox:
On the Toolbar, click Bookmarks and select Organize Bookmarks...
This will open the Library window.
In there, you can add all the folder you want, and organize everything by simply dragging the bookmarks into the folder you want.
You can also create sub-folders, within folders.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:15 AM

You mention elsewhere

I have 850 bookmarks on Firefox and 650 on IE.

Using IE

Click on Favorites to open. Then choose Organize.

Click New Folder. Create the folder then move items into the folder. This may take a while as you can only do one listing at a time.

There is also another way, which will speed the process up. Since you have so many, this may be the best way. This is my preferred method when I organize my favorites, and also when I clean it out since I can highlight more than 1 at a time to delete.

Click on My Computer to open it, then click Documents and Settings in XP, Users in Windows 7.

When the list of users opens, click your name. Open up the Favorites folder. In an empty spot, right click, choose NEW, then folder.

Rename the folder. To move items to the folder, highlight the item, drag and drop into the folder. To move more than one at at time, hold the ctrl key while highlighting. When all the items are highlighted, drag and drop into the appropriate folder.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 15 September 2010 - 12:28 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

I've got about 1,500 bookmarks in IE...most of which are used for forums.

What I did was create a folder titled Computer Help and...rather than drag each bookmark...I just went to the Favorites folder in Docs and Settings and then moved them from there. It's easier and faster than doing it with IE open and the result will be the same.

As for accessing the bookmarks...I use a utility called Bookmark Wizard to create an .html alphabetical list of all the bookmarks in a given folder. I keep these lists in the same folder I list my forum shortcuts on my desktop. When I want to access a given bookmark, I just look it up alphabetically or use the IE EDIT/Find On This Page function...to arrive at relevant links on thie .html list. Then I just copy and paste into my post.

Louis

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

If you have a lot of folders and/or a lot of links moving them would probably work faster. I didn't think of that because I don't have that many so I drag and drop. I've also gotten into the habit of adding a link to a folder when I add it to Favorites.

Whichever method you use, it's certainly quicker than doing one at a time from Organize Favorites.

#6 John Bull

John Bull
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:44 PM

I realised it was not a blockbusting question, but it is important to me.

Thanks to each one of you for your replies, I am probably OK now to create a folder and group my various related items into it.

Obviously I will need a several folders for different groups, conveniently titled, but presume I just repeat the process.

John B :thumbsup:

I use Firefox 3.6.8 exclusively. I do have IE8 but never use it and probably never will.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:00 PM

You're quite welcome, John Bull.
It's an easy process to do, in Firefox.
Maybe, too easy.
I currently have 144 folders. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users