Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Drag and Drop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Budee

Budee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

I did a fresh install of xp on this computer and a few months later I can't drag and drop anymore. I can't copy a file or make shortcuts either. I can right click and make a new folder however. I have comodo antivirus and firewall. I ran housecall and malawarebytes today. housecall got rid of one file which I didn't make a note of....I thought there would be a summary screen when it was done. But I don't think this is malware because I can't drag and drop in safemode either. I am posting my hijackthis log and hope somebody can help me out.

EDIT: Removed HJT log, not allowed in XP forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2010 - 06:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sbdblyss

sbdblyss

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:55 PM

You may want to post this in the "Am I Infected?" forum.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Jake
My mind isn't quite sure what it has bargained for, but my heart is in time with, with the consistency of Your's.

#3 Budee

Budee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

I took your suggestion and posted this over there too. But I don't think I am infected. I ran 2 malware programs plus I already have an anti-virus. I don't think I am infected because this problem still happens in safe mode. Maybe there was malware on this that caused it in the past, but it has since been cleaned off. This computer belongs to my mother. Unfortunately she is self employed and needs things to work properly.

FYI I have also read other posts on various forums for this problem and tried several other "fixes" It seems silly to reinstall windows over this, as there must be a relatively simple fix that eludes me.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

System manufacturer and model?

Do you have a Microsoft Genuine XP CD?

How long has this inability existed?

Louis

#5 Budee

Budee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

Its a custom computer I built. Built around a PC Chips A15G Motherboard and an AMD X2 5600+ processor. I ran a microsoft utility and the copy of XP comes up as genuine. This inability has existed for several months. The computer was built around 6-9 months ago. Its really fast to boot up and shut down. I think somebody using the computer may have been clicking yes to tons of stuff from the web tho. The browser had 3 toolbars.

Thanks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

I have an A15G system, X2 5000 CPU :thumbsup:, I like it.

Inability to do basic Windows functions...indicates possible damaged system files, IMO.

Have you tried running the sfc /scannow command...or doing a repair install of XP?

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43051.html

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

A repair install done with a MS XP CD...will only result in the removal of current system files, followed by installation of new ones...all programs and data files will remain intact and useful.

Running the sfc /scannow command and doing a repair install...both depend on the CD used reflecting the same SP as the system. If SP3 is installed on the system, the CD should reflect SP3.

Louis

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Right click on your taskbar and choose properties, start menu, customize, advanced and make sure enable dragging and dropping is checked
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users