Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Dell not detecting drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 aod_

aod_

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:42 PM

As a secondary computer for general use, I decided to dig out my dads old Dell Dimension 3000. It's in perfect working order, but just needed a re-format etc.

I decided to install a fresh copy of Windows XP, and during setup, deleted the partition that contained the previous Dell installation. The new XP was installed to this partition, and seemed to work ok at first. Ever since the first boot however, I been experiencing the following symptoms:

At boot

The BIOS hangs for about 1:00min - 1:30min

After this I'm presented with an error message:

Primary drive 1 not found
Secondary drive 1 not found
Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

Upon choosing F1 to continue Windows XP loads fine and the computer works without any problems

Is there something in the BIOS looking for some data on the hard disk that I wiped when deleting the Dell partition? I can't work out why it gives me this error, yet boots fine after pressing F1.

Details:
  • Dell Dimension 3000
  • BIOS Rev A02
  • Pri Master - Hard Drive
  • Sec Master - IDE CD-ROM
  • P4 3.06GHz
  • 512MB RAM
  • Maxtor 6Y080L0 80GB Hard Drive

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You need to hit F2 to enter your Bios setup utility and make sure all drives are active.

Then go to your BOOT menu and make sure the drive you have your installation on is selected as either the first boot device or second boot device if you prefer your optical drive to be a bootable device if you use a bootable CD.

Also, make sure you have no disks in any floppy drives when you boot up your computer.

When you make the changes to your BIOS make sure you save those changes to the CMOS by hitting the F10 key save and exit.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users