Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the prob?! App Errors, Antivirus Won't Install :(

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KitSkn

KitSkn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

I am on day 2 of trying to fix my sister's mini note book (OS Win XP Pro Sp3) and I am exhausted as I cannot figure out the FIX. This is my last attempt before giving up and turning it over to a tech.

When I got the laptop the other day Windows would load with several application errors. The Desktop menus and icons where frozen. The background was black or blue, can't quite recall. I couldn't access anything except Task Manager which would freeze and hangup when I clicked the mouse. I performed chkdsk f/ r/ from CMD and restarted Win. After about 4 to 5 hours of scanning Windows loaded with the normal Desktop background and many of the icons and menu fields had functionality, but some of them still do not function at all (i.e. System Tools, System Information, My Computer, Device Manager, Events Viewer, Administrative Tools, and more).

I constantly get a popup box that says:
svchost.exe - Application Error
The instruction at"0x73411c8b" referenced memory at "0x00000007". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program.
Click on cancel to debug.

Click OK and get another one that says:
svchost.exe - Application Error
The instruction at"0x75abae15" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".
Click on OK to terminate the program.
Click on cancel to debug.

Click OK and it repeats the first one, waits about a minute and then pops up again.

I am also getting a Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Error which has encountered a problem. This pops up about 3 times after I reboot. I performed the following: How to fix “Generic Host for Win32 Process” and “svchost.exe” errors?

close Port 445:

* Click Start >> Run, to open the Run dialog box
* Here, type regedit to open the registry
* Navigate to the following registry key – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> System >> CurrentControlSet >> Services >> NetBT >> Parameters
# On the right-hand pane find the option TransportBindName.
# Double click on TransportBindName and delete the existing default value.
# click Ok

close Port 135:

* Click Start >> Run, to open the Run dialog box
* Here, type regedit to open the registry
* Navigate to the following registry key – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >> software >> microsoft >> Ole
# On thee right hand window pane find an option called EnableDCOM
# Double-click EnableDCOM and change the value from Y to N
# click Ok

None of those steps worked...I'm still getting the errors! I also get a Run dll as an App error that pops up when I try to open certain files.

I tried installing Avira Antivirus but was not able to execute the installation file because of some error, which I can't remember.

I tried installing AVG Antivirus but received this error: MSVC redistributables installation failed. Installation of AVG can not continue.
After performing all of the following steps, it finally installed but now will not open.

Solution 1: Windows XP - Updating Visual C++ Library

The usual cause for MSVC error in Windows XP is the outdated Microsoft Visual C++ libraries installed within the operating system. In some cases, it is not necessary to update Visual C++ libraries. First of all, try reinstalling AVG 9, and if the problem persist, download the latest version of Microsoft Visual C
++ libraries on the official Microsoft website.

* For 32-bit OS: <http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647>

After the library installation, restart your computer and try to run AVG installation again. If the problem persist, continue to the following methods.

Solution #2 - Install AVG to a new directory

Some users have reported that installing AVG into a new folder works. To ensure compatibility, first check for the latest version of AVG installation executable, which can be found on the AVG official website. Then, try to install AVG into an alternative directory. If this does not work, continue to the next method.

Solution #3 - Official AVG Fix

A fix from AVG is now available. A file called msvcfix.zip can be downloaded from the official website. The file msvcfix.bat can be extracted from this archive file. Put the .bat in the same folder as the executable installation file, and run msvcfix.bat. Installing AVG 9 should work by using this method.

Solution #3 did the trick and now Avg is install on the system, but I get this error when I try to run it:

C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgui.exe

The application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I tried to repair Avg in Add/Remove Programs but the repair button doesn't do anything when I click it.

I download and installed Malwarebytes and did a full scan but it showed no infected files.

I need HELP. :thumbsup: I don't know what to do. So I will take a break and wait to hear a reply on here. :flowers: Thanks for your assistance, in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KitSkn

KitSkn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 09:48 PM

I'm getting help for this at http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic153473.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users