Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driving Me Crazy (Am I Infected? What do I do?)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 bardo

bardo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

I'm helping a small school that seems to have a virus/malware infection. I'm the volunteer help, but I am technically trained as a programmer.
The laptop I currently am trying to fix will only boot in safe mode.
When attempting to boot in Normal Startup mode - It gets a bsd and an error 0xc0000218 (0xe2100a88 ... all zeros)
If I've looked it up correctly - it is a problem with the software part of the hive.
I'm making an assumption this is a virus or rootkit due to the fact that this "Problem" has migrated to several of the laptops/PCs.
I've run every bootable CD antivirus I could find. (All of the machines are running Symantec AntiVirus Enterprise v9.0 with realtime protection on)
AVG
AVIR
Kaspersky
PC Tools
F-Secure
AVAST Bart

From a BartPE bootable:
SuperAntiSpyWare
Malwarebits
etc.

I've also run bootkit removal tools ( I assume they won't work unless the process loads in normal mode) Blacklight, Stinger, UnHackme.
I also ran a full windows recovery on another laptop with the same issues - it ran and I was able to login the 1st time after the reload. After shutting down it was back.

Am I just missing something?

Sorry if my etiquette is not correct

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users