Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

norton removal and what to use next

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 moparfan1234

moparfan1234

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

let me start off as im not very good with computers so please exsplain in detail. i have a emachines bought new last year came with norton on it. of corse the trial time ran out so i run for months with out nothing. finally my uncle had bought 2010 norton internet security and let me use it. ok so it worked good for a few days then i desided to use the disk cleanup tool and the next time i started up my computer i could not open internet explorer or norton i restarted the compuer about 5 times till every thing worked agan. next time i shut it down and started it back up same thing. i did try unistalling norton and reinstalled it. well this happend over and over till one day the restart trick just wasent working. so i recoverd the computer to the oldest date i could. now i have my internet explorer back but the norton tool bar is gone and i still can not open norton or unistall it. i have also been geting messages saying norton has been turned off and it wont let me turn it back on.

with that said how do i get rid of norton and what should i replace it with? some thing free for now and later on i could pay for some thing better if needed. or should i stay with norton?

i really dont understand what all these antiviris or mailware or fire wall stuff means or does so theres other stuff i may need i just dont know it. any help on this to would be great.

this computer has windows 7 on it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it is known to be a resource hog that can slow down your system and affect performance. The program requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Further Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. Other factors to consider include effectiveness, user friendliness, ease of updating, ease of installation and removal. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program or avast! Free Antivirus if choosing a free alternative.

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:56 PM

Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it is known to be a resource hog that can slow down your system and affect performance. The program requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Further Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. Other factors to consider include effectiveness, user friendliness, ease of updating, ease of installation and removal. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program or avast! Free Antivirus if choosing a free alternative.

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one)

should i get rid of norton before i download a new one even know its not working? i read some where i should but thats why im trying to ger rid of it but i cant. i click the unistall button in the control panal but nothing happens.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:15 PM

If uninstalling Norton via Add/Remove Programs does not work properly, then download and run the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) - alternate download link for SymNRT

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed.

Edited by quietman7, 14 September 2010 - 01:21 PM.

#5 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

If uninstalling Norton via Add/Remove Programs does not work properly, then download and run the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) - alternate download link for SymNRT

The Norton Removal Tool uninstalls all Norton 2003 and later products, Norton 360, and Norton SystemWorks 12.0 from your computer. If you use ACT! or WinFAX, back up those databases before you proceed.

what is ACT! and winFAX? how do i know if i use them or not? it also says to remove winFAX and PCanywhere whats that about?

Edited by moparfan1234, 14 September 2010 - 01:39 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

WinFax
ACT!!
Symantec pcAnywhere

Note that the Symantec web site says:

The steps differ depending on what product you have.

Choose your product:

The choice for pcAnywhere or WinFax is separate. If you don't know what these programs are, I doubt any of them were installed.

#7 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:04 PM

i just rememberd this computer also came with McAfee security witch makes no sense if you only should use one at a time? or is there a such thing as they use one for a diffrent type of security?

#8 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

ok tryed to download the norton removal tool and it pops up that internet explorer stoped working and close's every thing?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

There should not be two different anti-virus programs installed. Depending on where you made the purchase and what software was installed before purchasing, there may have been trial offers but I even doubt that was the case. Most machines come bundled with various packages of software. I have never encountered any with two anti-virus programs.

If you cannot use the Internet or download any required programs to the machine, try downloading them from another computer (family member, friend, library, etc) with an Internet connection. Save to a flash (usb, pen, thumb, jump) drive or CD, transfer to the problem machine, and then run the program(s).

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

BTW, you should be downloading a replacement to have ready to install after removing Norton before connecting back to the Internet.

#11 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:21 PM

ok i clicked the download button like 50 times and finally got it to work. should i use norton agan? because i still have the disk my uncle bought for norton 2010?

also this computer was bought from wallmart. i know probly not the best place to buy one but it was cheep and worked at the time.

#12 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

BTW, you should be downloading a replacement to have ready to install after removing Norton before connecting back to the Internet.

when i download some thing new how do i get back to it for intallation with out going back online?

EDIT: i think i got it. will see if it works

Edited by moparfan1234, 14 September 2010 - 03:00 PM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:55 PM

should i use norton agan? because i still have the disk my uncle bought for norton 2010?

That's up to you. Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. Other factors to consider include effectiveness, user friendliness, ease of updating, ease of installation and removal. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense, safe computing and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.

#14 moparfan1234

moparfan1234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:27 PM

ok seems like every thing is working right agan. it auto opened norton agan so i just went ahead and used it. but now its 2011 norton. i guess now i know how to fix it next time it wont be so bad. thank you alot. i was just gona run with out it but i hate doing that. i must stay on good site because this computer never seems to give me problems. YET lol

next qestion what is a fire wall and how do i know i have one setup right or have one at all? also any other kind of security stuff i need?

i have anether computer that is all sorts of messed up that im gona need help on. i let some other people barrow it and they desided to look at alot of XXX sites and it got the security sute thing on it and who knows what els.

thanks a bunch for all your help :thumbsup:

Edited by moparfan1234, 14 September 2010 - 10:28 PM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:35 AM

Norton Internet Security 2011 includes a firewall.

Click Key Technologies to see a list of all features:

* Antivirus
* Antispyware
* Antiphishing
* Norton Safe Web

* Antispam
* Identity protection
* Norton Reputation Service
* Parental control management

* Antivirus
* Antispyware
* Antiphishing
* Norton Safe Web

* Antispam
* Identity protection
* Norton Reputation Service
* Parental control management

* Smart firewall
* Pulse Updates
* Bot protection

* SONAR 3 Behavior Protection
* Network mapping and monitoring
* Antirootkit

Since have questions about using a firewall, you may want to read:Supplemental reading:If you have another computer with issues, please start a new topic for that. If it is malware related, then start your topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users