Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows will not boot, message displayed onscreen is "-."

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zareidriel

Zareidriel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:21 AM

The topic says it all. I simply restarted my computer about an hour ago, and upon restart, after displaying the opening ram check, etc, the very next thing the monitor displays is:

A completely blank screen, with the characters

Dash, dot, and nothing else. The rest is black. I can usually find answers to my own computer issues, but "-." is not searchable in search engines, so I'm having trouble.

Anyone have any idea what this is?

Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCIe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Socket AM2 CPU
MSI K9N SLI-F nForce 570LT Socket AM2+
Windows XP
2 Gigs RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:38 AM

Hi Zareidriel, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Can you use the F8 key at the startup to enter the advance boot options?

If you can, see if you can boot into Safe Mode. If you can try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Zareidriel

Zareidriel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:44 AM

No, thev -. appears immediately after the first page of startup information. F8 does not work, though the delete-based BIOS menu does.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

Do you have the installation disk for the operating system?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users