Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Card Failure

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 judowoman

judowoman

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:48 AM

Hello everyone,

I uninstalled Norton/Symantec from my HP PC (vista) and since then I'm unable to connect to the internet. Ive tried to system restore, which is unsuccessful, Ive tried going into cmd and nothing. It says my network adapter (NVIDIA) is working properly when i tried to update it, its says its updated. Ive been at this since yesterday morning and since im not very good with computers I'm pretty much going crazy.. lol

Please any help or suggestions would be extremely appreciated. Someone mentioned on another thread to save the NIC on the harddrive and uninstall and reinstall but I dont even know how to do that, Please help!

Thanks in advance I really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 john17356

john17356

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

few things to try
1. Look in IE and go to tools/internet options/connections/ Lan Connections (make sure there are no proxy servers)
2. From command promtp type in "netsh winsock reset" (no quotes) hit enter then reboot computer

Hope that helps

#3 judowoman

judowoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi John,

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. Unfortunetly those tips did not work :thumbsup:

When I click on device manager, It looks like this

My computer -----(green line) network X internet

I'm typing this from my laptop, which works fine.. The PC is the problem.. Going crazy! lol

#4 john17356

john17356

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

What OS? Is the network adapter enabled?

#5 judowoman

judowoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:59 PM

I'm on Windows Vista, just checked network adapter and it is enabled.. I'm stumped..

#6 judowoman

judowoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:15 PM

Also, after clicking around and doing a diagnosis this came up:

"This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured"

#7 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:41 PM

o.k. open your command prompt and type ping 127.0.0.1 This is a loopback address and if you get responses from that then your tcp/ip stack is good. If that works then type ipconfig and see what your ip address is. Type ping 192.168.x.x or whatever your ip address is. If you get responses from that then your nic is good if not your nic is bad. If that works then look at your ipconfig output and see what your default gateway ip address is. Ping this to see if your able to reach your router. If you are able to reach your router try typing tracert www.google.com. This will ping google and show you each hop that it takes to get there. If you get rows of * * * then this is where the problem is. Please let me know which of these tests work and which fail so I know which direction to go.

#8 judowoman

judowoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

Hi Tommy,

Thank you for responding.. I typed in ping 127.0.0.1 and 4 "general failure" rows came up. packets sent: 4 Recieved= 0 Lost = 0

#9 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:55 PM

O.k. It sounds like your tcp/ip stack has become corrupt. Let's try reseting it. Bring up your command prompt icon, right click it and c lick run as administrator. Type netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt. Reboot your computer and see if this corrects the problem.

#10 judowoman

judowoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hi Tommy,

ok did that, said ok and i needed to reboot my computer which I did and nada :thumbsup: internet explorer still comes out with cannot display the webpage.. like before.. the lil monitor on the bottom right still says unidentified network access:local only

#11 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

Are you able to ping 127.0.0.1 now?

#12 judowoman

judowoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

nope :thumbsup: still says general failure..

I even went on NVIDIA and downloaded the driver to my laptop and passed it to the PC and nothing..

#13 tommy28

tommy28

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:55 PM

O.k. Lets try this. This time type netsh int ip reset reset.txt and hit enter. After that type netsh winsock reset and hit enter and then reboot. Let me know if this doesn't work.

#14 judowoman

judowoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:33 PM

This is what came out

The requested operation requires elevation. Resetting interface failed
The requested operation requires elevation. There's no user specified settings to be reset.

I restarted and nothing.. I noticed though, not sure if it has anything to do with this problem that there are little windows shields on all my antispyware and a couple other icons.. and my firewall is off and not letting me turn on or update. this is nuts lol

#15 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:09 AM

Since its Vista, are you using an account with administrator privileges ? That may be part of the problem, if you attempted to uninstall Norton without admin powers. This could also explain the "operation requires elevation" errors.

Does this happen in other browsers? (such as FireFox, Chrome, etc.) Is IE the only thing affected? (Does the problem happen on things such as email programs, IM clients, etc.)

In command prompt type "ipconfig /all" and let me know if you get a 192.168.X.X IP, 192.168.X.X gateway, and DNS servers(any DNS server address should be fine).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users