Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NvCpl

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rmcarner

rmcarner

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:35 AM

Bleeping seems to confirm that NvCpl is Malware. I have located it in the Systems Config. Utility. I am running WinXP. Is it enough to simply uncheck it using the Startup Option? I did a Search using the Windows utility. If it is Malware or some such what else might I do to remove it? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:07 AM

Hi rmcarner, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Being new here I can understand some confusion regarding where to post a topic of this nature. A more appropriate forum where this type of problem will get the best care is the Am I Infected. I will request that a Moderator move this topic to that forum so our trained staff can get to work on this.

Hang in there, this could take a short while.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:19 AM

What's the file extension? What does msconfig reflect as the path listed under the Command heading?

NvCpl.dll is valid nVidia file, while NvCpl.exe appears to be malware.

I have an nVidia chipset on this system...and my msconfig reflects NvCpl, running in the System32 folder and it is the .dll.

Louis

#4 rmcarner

rmcarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:31 AM

What's the file extension? What does msconfig reflect as the path listed under the Command heading?

NvCpl.dll is valid nVidia file, while NvCpl.exe appears to be malware.

I have an nVidia chipset on this system...and my msconfig reflects NvCpl, running in the System32 folder and it is the .dll.

Louis

Louis, the Command line reads: RUNDLL32.EXE E:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
The Locations in msconfig is shown as: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Sounds like I should keep these Startup Items checked? :thumbsup:
BTW, how do you burrow down to find HKLM?

Thanks, Rm

#5 rmcarner

rmcarner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:34 AM

Hi rmcarner, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Being new here I can understand some confusion regarding where to post a topic of this nature. A more appropriate forum where this type of problem will get the best care is the Am I Infected. I will request that a Moderator move this topic to that forum so our trained staff can get to work on this.

Hang in there, this could take a short while.

Sorry about that. I did respond on this forum to Louis's answer before I read your post. I'll spend some time getting acquainted with all of what Bleeping Computer has to offer.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:01 AM

To answer your question about that being a startup item...it is on my system.

It doesn't have to be, user option. I don't use the nVidia Control Panel and it's not necessary but I don't stop it from loading at boot.

To me, as long as I know it's the appropriate file...I don't concern myself.

Not sure I understand your question about the registry...but my general advice would be to...leave the registry alone, unless you develop a specific problem where the documented solution involves a manual edit of registry files.

If you want to manage XP startup items...msconfig is really not the tool to use. You might look at one of the following.

AutoRuns for Windows - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

Starter (for Startups) - http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-...k/Starter.shtml

Startup Control Panel - http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Startup Inspector for Windows - http://www.windowsstartup.com/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users