wondering if someone could shed some light on a frustrating problem I have.
I had a virus called Antimalware Doctor. I thought I had removed it but about 2 weeks after removal I got another pop up saying I had a virus and should scan with their "special" scanner. So at last in frustration I reloaded windows.
I am running xp home edition on a Medion MD96500 laptop. It has a recovery and installation disk but it is all loaded on a separate partition on the original hard drive.
I use firefox 3.6.9. as browser.
Since the reinstall I downloaded all that microsoft offered in auto updates.
And since the reinstall I have had various issues with various apps on the laptop.
-'Generic host process has encountered a problem and needs to close' - frequent problem. Almost every session on the net it occurs.
- Every second time I try to dial up my internet I get an error message which says the connection is busy or cant be found. I find that if I shut down the laptop and restart ,it works ok when I dial. It is almost like it fails to load the adapter half the time.
- I had reloaded the drivers for an HP 1200 series All -In -One printer and it was working fine one day , the next it wouldnt scan. I spent about a day uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for that and got the scanner working again, BUT NOW
- the wireless network has failed. I used it Tuesday but on wednesday it wouldnt work. It Cant see any available networks in range. Previously it would pop up with every network nearby . It now says its not connected. I haven't turned it off....that I know of. Under Hardware>>Devices>intel wireless adapter>advanced> it says the wireless is on.
I have looked at the zero configuration and it says it has started. ( sometimes the 'view wireless networks in range " box would come up with 'something else is managing the network.'..? Odd cos I haven't another program to do that...that I know of.
- when I do connect to the internet I get frequent page redirections. This I thought would be solved by the reinstall.!
- Still getting a pop up with "you have a virus, scan now"
- installed Sandboxie, but when I use it to sandbox the web browser it freezes and I have to shut it down.
I have dial up at home but will use the auto connect of the wireless internet when I go to the library .
There are a number of issues here and I don't know if they are all related. If they need to be dealt with separately in different forums please let me know.
Thank you in advance.
Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2010 - 06:50 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.