Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reloaded windows xp causing problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skaama

skaama

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:42 AM

Hi,
wondering if someone could shed some light on a frustrating problem I have.
I had a virus called Antimalware Doctor. I thought I had removed it but about 2 weeks after removal I got another pop up saying I had a virus and should scan with their "special" scanner. So at last in frustration I reloaded windows.
I am running xp home edition on a Medion MD96500 laptop. It has a recovery and installation disk but it is all loaded on a separate partition on the original hard drive.
I use firefox 3.6.9. as browser.
Since the reinstall I downloaded all that microsoft offered in auto updates.

And since the reinstall I have had various issues with various apps on the laptop.

-'Generic host process has encountered a problem and needs to close' - frequent problem. Almost every session on the net it occurs.
- Every second time I try to dial up my internet I get an error message which says the connection is busy or cant be found. I find that if I shut down the laptop and restart ,it works ok when I dial. It is almost like it fails to load the adapter half the time.
- I had reloaded the drivers for an HP 1200 series All -In -One printer and it was working fine one day , the next it wouldnt scan. I spent about a day uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for that and got the scanner working again, BUT NOW
- the wireless network has failed. I used it Tuesday but on wednesday it wouldnt work. It Cant see any available networks in range. Previously it would pop up with every network nearby . It now says its not connected. I haven't turned it off....that I know of. Under Hardware>>Devices>intel wireless adapter>advanced> it says the wireless is on.
I have looked at the zero configuration and it says it has started. ( sometimes the 'view wireless networks in range " box would come up with 'something else is managing the network.'..? Odd cos I haven't another program to do that...that I know of.
- when I do connect to the internet I get frequent page redirections. This I thought would be solved by the reinstall.!
- Still getting a pop up with "you have a virus, scan now"
- installed Sandboxie, but when I use it to sandbox the web browser it freezes and I have to shut it down.

I have dial up at home but will use the auto connect of the wireless internet when I go to the library .

There are a number of issues here and I don't know if they are all related. If they need to be dealt with separately in different forums please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 15 September 2010 - 06:50 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:01 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

"Reloaded"...does that mean that you did a clean install...or does that mean that you simply reinstalled Windows on an infected system?

Or does that mean that you did a destructive recovery, one which restored your system to factory defaults?

Louis

#3 skaama

skaama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:51 AM

Hi Louis

Thanks for your reply.
I just took a look in the manual at what I did and I actually restored the system to its condition at delivery. It did erase the c: drive.

It was all done from the application and support disc.
I followed the instructions on the screen. First restore to delivery condition then load the drivers.

Do you think that maybe it didnt completely wipe the drive properly?

cheers

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

System manufacturer and model?

As I understand it...when a user restores a system to factory defaults, it relies on files which the system manufacturer has already stored on the system.

When I combine that with the fact that malware is more virulent and frustrating than ever...I cannot have the feeling that either formatting the hard drive or doing a total system recovery on an OEM (HP, eMachines, Dell, etc.) system can be relied upon to have eliminated all traces of malware which formerly existed on a system. That's a personal opinion, not something that anyone else should rely on or consider to be from a "knowledgeable source"...I have little knowledge/experience regarding malware situations.

The fact that you are getting virus alerts on a system that was restored to factory defaults...I take that at face value. The various other symptoms you listed could be attributed to possible hardware problems (IMO) but I don't think of that as a possible hardware problem.

I'm going to move this to our Am I Infected forum where someone with more knowledge can examine the possibility of malware...more closely.

Louis

#5 skaama

skaama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:22 AM

Thanks Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users