Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very low FPS in World of Warcraft

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 markgui

markgui

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:05 AM

I experience very low fps while in 25 man raid content. Under normal conditions, fps averages 70-90 fps. During 10 man raids I usually get around 40 fps, but when doing 25 man raids it drops to 5-15 fps making game play pointless at that point. I upgraded my GPU to an Nvidia 250GTS thinking that would solve my fps issues. While it has improved my fps, it is not quite where I expected it to be. I run a program called Gamebooster which is supposed to improve lag problems and it does seem to help somewhat. I have 2gb of ram and run Windows XP. My CPU is not the best but I would think it would be sufficient enough for World of Warcraft. It is an Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz. Are there any other steps I can take which would improve my fps for raiding?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:57 PM

Your graphics card probably wasn't the bottleneck in the first place, unless you had a 8600 GT or something like that.

Your CPU is probably what's killing your framerates. You might just have to turn your settings all the way down during 25m raids, as I had to recently for my 8800GT. I have a 2.4ghz quad core, 4GB of memory, and an 8800GT.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:17 AM

I can only think of two things.

Your Processor and your network bandwidth.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#4 markgui

markgui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:51 AM

Your graphics card probably wasn't the bottleneck in the first place, unless you had a 8600 GT or something like that.

Your CPU is probably what's killing your framerates. You might just have to turn your settings all the way down during 25m raids, as I had to recently for my 8800GT. I have a 2.4ghz quad core, 4GB of memory, and an 8800GT.

My old GPU was a 7600GT. Leaning more towards believing it my CPU. Sorry to be so noobish but how do I find out what my bandwidth is?

I just did a check on CNET.com to test bandwidth and it gave me a number of 4673kbps. Not sure if thats something like a connection speed test or not. I have tested that before and have averaged around 25 mbps.

Edited by markgui, 15 September 2010 - 05:17 AM.

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:09 PM

Yeah, 'tis most likely your CPU. Of course, when you have to upgrade a processor from a P4 socket to a new one, you almost might as well take that 250 GTS and just put a new build together.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#6 Cailler

Cailler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:19 PM

Have you tried testing your FPS without any addons enabled?

If so, how were your FPS?

#7 Cailler

Cailler

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 09:33 PM

it's going to be your bandwidth more likely than anything else, world of warcraft takes litteraly bugger all power to run.

FPS is video. Latency is bandwidth.

What's the temp of your CPU? Got this link from a Blue on the WoW forums:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

#8 markgui

markgui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have decided to rebuild my system anyway. Purchased new motherboard, processor and hard drive. Still waiting on my hard drive but the rest are installed. Thanks again.

#9 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

I can only think of two things.

Your Processor and your network bandwidth.

I agree that the Pentium 4 is killing the game. It's Netburst technology is quite old for modern gaming.

Network bandwidth (ie his ISP connection) has nothing to do with framerate though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users