Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba laptop screen problem with XP

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fragile1100

fragile1100

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:18 AM

Hi,
I have been getting assistance from gringo_pr in the Malware department of bleepingcomputer.com. During the Malware cleaning process my screen has gone to only very large icons. The colours are incorrect and there are lines over the screen (these are not visible on the screen grabs).

I have tried reinstalling the driver and I get a and error "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". The Malware department has since sent me over here for help.

I also cannot change the resolution in the control panel.

Thanks
Cheers
Lewis

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2010 - 05:09 PM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:32 AM

Did you uninstall the video drivers (via Device Manager) before trying to reinstall them?

Louis

#3 fragile1100

fragile1100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:20 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. I did uninstall them first. Is there a special order I need to do it in or do it in Safe Mode?

From memory I had to even remove something in add/remove programs to do with NVIDIA drivers.

I am happy to try again if you could walk me through it a little please.....

Thanks
lewis

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:36 AM

What's that date reflected on the graphics you submitted?

If that's supposed to be correlated to today's date...I'd say that your CMOS battery is failing.

As for uninstalling the video drivers...I would not fool around with the Add/Remove Programs entry, since that's all of your nVidia drivers. I would just go to Device Manager and uninstall the drivers under Display Adapters....then reboot and reinstall same from either the drivers CD or download file obtained from the correct respective website.

Louis

#5 fragile1100

fragile1100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:18 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply!

The date is just a date of the photo that i use as my desktop background. My computer clock is keeping time and date perfectly.

I have tried uninstalling and re installing from the Toshiba website. Gringo_pr in Malware helped me with that.

I still get the code 10 error. Is this possibly a bios issue? see http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13957.html

Thanks
Lewis

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:09 PM

You have a laptop...IMO, that means it could be anything from overheating to failure of the video chip...with other possibilities.

If you cannot change your resolution...you uninstalled drivers, then reinstalled...and you still get a code 10...my guess would be that the your video function is failing.

I'll move this to Internal Hardware where the good brains are, they can give you better opinions :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer's Internal hardware forum.

Here is a link to Microsoft support for error codes http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310123

By the way, FIXIT! might pop up at this link, If you want you can allow it to try fixing your hardware issue, which is what it is designed to do.
(Note it popped up on mine, so it may not pop up on your end.)

Regardless, check out Code 10.

Here I copy and pasted the text.

Code 10

If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)
Recommended resolutions

Here are some things that you can try to resolve this problem.

Update the driver

In the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Update Driver to start the Hardware Update Wizard. Follow the instructions to update the driver.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendorís Web site.

View the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base

For more information about Code 10-related errors , click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
943104 ( http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943104/ ) Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates on Windows XP-based computers

Hopefully this will help you.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 14 September 2010 - 05:39 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 fragile1100

fragile1100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:49 AM

Hi,
Thanks for the information.

I have tried all of things before and they have not worked. I did try them again to make sure - no cigar!

What do you suggest next?

Kind regards

Lewis

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 05:59 AM

my guess would be that the your video function is failing.

This seems likely to me also, because:

there are lines over the screen (these are not visible on the screen grabs).

Screen artifacts that don't appear on screen grabs are happening after the screen buffer, ie the output of the video chip or the LCD screen. Since lines on the LCD screen have no reason to cause a video driver to not load, that suggests the video chip may be distressed.

What model is the laptop? A Google search might reveal if it is one that has been suffering the nVidia failures.

Edited by Platypus, 15 September 2010 - 05:59 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 fragile1100

fragile1100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:22 PM

Computer is a Toshiba Satellite M40 laptop Model No. PSM40A-08L009 Serial No. 75047703Q

Thanks for your continued help

Lewis

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:21 AM

The M40 has Go 6600 video, which is not acknowledged to have the declared reliability problems of the mobile 8 series, although the WikiPedia entry for the 8 series does note: "It has also been speculated that mobile cards prior to the GeForce 8M series like the GeForce Go 7600 and earlier also have this design flaw, although it has not been proven."

Of course that doesn't mean it can't just have a problem, as any BGA mount can. Another possibility though is, it seems the video is on a card, which means contact problems on the card connector could also cause problems. If you felt up to some dismantling to check that out, there's pix here:

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/lofiversion....php?t8306.html

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users