Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

anti virus recomendations

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 grassy

grassy

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:27 AM

Can anyone recomend to me a free antivirus for my windows xp home edition please as i have tried avg but cant install it.Regards Grassy

Edited by hamluis, 14 September 2010 - 07:28 AM.
Moved from XP forum to AV, Firewall, etc. ~ Hamluis.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 07:29 AM

Among others, Avira Free and Avast seem to be recommended/suggested routinely.

Louis

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:16 AM

If you cannot install AVG, then you may not be able to install something else.

This sometimes can occur if you did not completely remove your prior anti-virus. What product were you previously using?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:43 AM

Among others, Avira Free and Avast seem to be recommended/suggested routinely.
Agreed, those should be your options.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

This sometimes can occur if you did not completely remove your prior anti-virus. What product were you previously using?

G'day quietman, i was using avira, and after a while it stopped updating. I have had no problems with it prior to yesterday. I then downloaded AVG, so when i went to install it, the installation only got through half way and then stopped. I then deleted everything and started again.Now i have installed Avast and it works great.Thanks for your help, this forum always has something to offer. :thumbsup: Regards Grassy

Edited by grassy, 14 September 2010 - 06:56 PM.

MY SYSTEM, IN-WIN 909 SILVER CASE, INTEL 3960X PROCESSOR,CORSAIR DOMINATOR 2133 RAM,RAMPAGE 4 EXTREME BLACK EDITION MOTHERBOARD, NVIDIA GTX980ti GRAPHICS CARD,,EK 980TI WATERBLOCK
CORSAIR FORCE SERIES GS 360GIG SSD,SANDISK EXTREME 480GIG SSD,SAMSUNG 180 GIG SSD,,BITSPOWER FITTINGS
2 B&W MM1 COMPUTER SPEAKERS,DELL U3011/30 INCH MONITOR,HEATKILLER PRO4 CPU WATERBLOCK,CORSAIR AX1200 POWER SUPPLY....

#6 Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:31 PM

G'day quietman, i was using avira, and after a while it stopped updating. I have had no problems with it prior to yesterday. I then downloaded AVG, so when i went to install it, the installation only got through half way and then stopped. I then deleted everything and started again.Now i have installed Avast and it works great.Thanks for your help, this forum always has something to offer. :thumbsup: Regards Grassy

I just become a member of this Forum and it was suggested that I post a message to say hi to all:)

As for free AntiVirus programs, I use MalwareBytes and have found it to be very good.

#7 grassy

grassy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:50 AM

I just become a member of this Forum and it was suggested that I post a message to say hi to all:)

As for free AntiVirus programs, I use MalwareBytes and have found it to be very good.

G,day mate, you wont go wrong here. I ve been in a few forums and this to me is the best computer fix forum on the web. Your gonna love it here. Great people make a great forum. WOW thats a great slogan, ill have to use that one day. Regards

#8 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:10 AM

While MalwareBytes is very good, it isn't an AntiVirus.

#9 jill8beans2

jill8beans2

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:59 AM

I use Cyberdefender and they work great! You can download the free scanner off of their website. The full version also comes with round the clock tech support. Thank goodness for those guys ;)
Looking for the other side of my brain, have you seen it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users