Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I replace ME with XP Pro on an old IBM laptop?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 atikovi

atikovi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:28 PM

It has a 10GB hard drive and 64MB RAM. I just want to sell the laptop and think XP would increase it's value.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:34 PM

It has a 10GB hard drive and 64MB RAM. I just want to sell the laptop and think XP would increase it's value.

Hi,my opinion ,it has little value now ,would have no more with xp on it [with 64 meg of ram ,would be pure torture ],and you would never recover what you would have to pay for XP to put on it

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 atikovi

atikovi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

I have an XP disc from another computer so it wouldn't cost anything. What do you mean it would be pure torture?

#4 TechSniper

TechSniper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Are you thinking of using a pirated copy of XP? (That wouldn't increase the value in any case)

Other than that....People and computers have evolved from 10gb drive and 64mb RAM...Xp wouldn't run on it....Charity is the only option left now. :)

#5 atikovi

atikovi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:43 AM

No nothing pirated just a copy from another computer I have. Why won't XP run? I see a few IBM laptops on Ebay with the same specs as mine running XP such as: http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-thinkpad-A21M-LAPT...=item4152885996

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:56 PM

No nothing pirated just a copy from another computer I have. Why won't XP run? I see a few IBM laptops on Ebay with the same specs as mine running XP such as: http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-thinkpad-A21M-LAPT...=item4152885996

you cant use you copy of winxp on 2 computers ,
xp on 64 meg ram just won't cut it when doing much more than turning it on.
sellers on e-bay just trying to make it sound good ,doesn't mean its going to work well for you
i clicked the link ,not a chance that computer is worth 140.00 dollars in my opinion ,and to say it fast is BS in my opinion

Edited by caperjac, 14 September 2010 - 03:59 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 Texas Fan

Texas Fan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

Yes. At least I think so. :thumbsup: All you need is a Windows XP install cd. :flowers:

#8 vnsmith6

vnsmith6

• Banned Spammer
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:51 AM

at least you need to have two different for your both pc's.. though nothing would do much to increase it's value..

#9 Gabrial

Gabrial

• Members
  • 468 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

Anyone installing xp on a machine like that is just trying to scam people who don't know what they are buying in my opinion. A crappy old car with a new paint job is still a crappy old car.

At any rate if you really want to know the real minimum requirements to run XP are, you should check here. These germans took it to new lows. getting it to run on a 8mhz machine with 18mb ram.

The boottime of this system is extremly long, 30 minutes! After 13 minutes you can see the first icons, but there are 17 minutes more, where you can do nothing, before you can start "working".

crazy germans. xD

#10 pspuria81

pspuria81

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

XP runs best with 512-1g of ram

i would suggest installing linux :D
its free theres a selection of them out there and u wont have to worry about viruses or malware

Cheers! :D

IT Guru

Homepage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users