Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Laptop keyboard and touchpad does nothing even while booting up to profile screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dw_17fan

dw_17fan

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:13 PM

My niece has a HP laptop that's less than a year old with Windows 7 64bit on it. When it boots up to the profile screen, the keyboard and the touchpad won't do anything. She has never made a boot disc before and doesn't have one for it. Office depot didn't give her a Win 7 disc when she bought it less than a year ago. I can't get it into safe mode. The keys don't work on the safe mode selection screen. Even holding down f8 when powering up doesn't do anything. I thought it was software related, but do you think it could be hardware related? Would both the keyboard and the touchpad go out at the same time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

If it is less than a year old it should still be under warranty. Take it back to Office Depot and let them take care of it.

One thing I would do before turning it over to them would be to back up any data that is important to her. Documents, photos...

Edited by dc3, 13 September 2010 - 06:49 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dw_17fan

dw_17fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

How can I do that? There is no way to get past the profile screen. I figured it was a virus, but the malware team told me to post here in the hardware forum. If it is software related, is Windows 7 normally covered under warranty??

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

The whole computer is covered under most warranties.

If you have and external enclosure for the hdd you may be able to attach it to another computer and access you files from there. I'm not suggesting booting this hdd from another computer, this would only lead to more problems.

If you are using XP you can right click on Start> Explore and your hdd should show up in the pane on the left. Click on it and the contents should appear in the right pane. You can then click and drag files from there to another storage device. I would suggest a flash drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dw_17fan

dw_17fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:52 PM

Could you please explain in a little more detail about the part where you said "If you have and external enclosure for the hdd you may be able to attach it to another computer and access you files from there." How do you hook up a laptop to a desktop computer to access the hdd?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users