Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I got the XP Guard virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
115 replies to this topic

#1 chugg

chugg

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

I dont know what to do. At first I was able to boot up into windows (i just got alot of XP Guard popups trying to get me to buy their software) and now I cant boot into safe mode or windows. I have the xp disc in but I cant do much there because I dont know my password. When I dont boot to the disc all I get is a black screen and it stays black. Is my cpu done? Will I lose all of my work info?

Edited by chugg, 13 September 2010 - 02:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

anyone?

#3 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

anyone? Wow this is the first time this forum wasnt there when I needed it. But I understand this is probably dead and thats why no one can help me. I am going to try to change the little battery in the computer tower.

#4 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 01:18 PM

No one has any thoughts?

#5 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:16 AM

still checking in with the same problem anyone?

#6 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

still checking in....

#7 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

anyone?

Edited by chugg, 23 September 2010 - 06:39 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,911 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

Hello, Sorry but I see 5 or 6 replies to a topic I think someone h=is helping here. Only today when i get a chance to review the topic I see it is all you.. I will have some one come by and help you boot this PC.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(boopme @ Sep 23 2010, 03:03 PM) View Post
Hello, Sorry but I see 5 or 6 replies to a topic I think someone h=is helping here. Only today when i get a chance to review the topic I see it is all you.. I will have some one come by and help you boot this PC.

Thanks very much Boopme (lol that name is funny)

#10 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:56 AM

but I cant do much there because I dont know my password.
Do you mean when accessing the recovery console? If no administrator password is set, you can just leave it blank and press enter.

Can you please tell me if you still can access the advanced boot menu when tapping F8 on startup?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#11 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Elise, First of all thank you very much for responding. here is the situation. Long ago this computer went a bit whacky and I couldnt get into the boot menu or anything by tapping F8. I couldnt even sign on the computer at all. It would just say strike f1 to continue f2 to re boot. Then I put the windows disc in and 80 % of the time I can login to windows with no issues but sometimes this message would pop up. Then I got this virus and now I cant do anything but go into the windows disc by pressing any key to boot from disc. If I do not choose to boot from disc it goes to a completely black screen and I cant go any further. I hope I explained this well I will check back here often for the next step. I pray this computer isnt gone.

#12 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,391 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:47 AM

• Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.

• If your PC is not booting from the CD, you need to change the boot order:
    • Restart your PC
    • As soon as you get an image, press the Setup key. This is usually F2, or Del. On some machines the key can also be a different one. It should, however, be stated on the screen which key is the setup key.
    • Once you enter the computer's BIOS, use the arrow keys and tab key to move between elements. Press enter to select an item to change.
    • Navigate to the tab, where you can set the boot order. It should be called Boot or Boot order
    • The tab should now show your current boot order.
      If the CD-drive is not at the top, please navigate to the CD-Rom drive with the keys arrows. Then move it to the top of the list. The keys for switching boot position are usually + to move up and - to move down. However they can be different, but they should be stated in the help, so that you can find them easily.
    • Once the CD-drive is on top of the boot order, navigate to Exit and select Exit saving changes.
  • Your PC should now boot from your XP-CD.
    Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted.

• When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • When asked to select your windows installation type 1.
  • When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • A command prompt will open
Type fixmbr and press enter.

Confirm to rewrite the Master Boot Record and then type EXIT and press enter to reboot. Please let me know if you can reboot normally.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#13 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:19 AM

Elise, I didnt get to this yet because with this computer going down it has made my job a nightmare. I plan on doing this tonight. Please dont give up on me because I really need this.

#14 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 60,391 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

Don't worry, we will sure try to get it fixed. smile.gif

I'll wait for your reply.

regards, Elise

#15 chugg

chugg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Ok I did what you said and it comes up saying diskette drive 0 seek failure and then back to press any key to boot from cd and if I dont press anything the screen goes back to blank and black and stays that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users