Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer on Dell system

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 salem

salem

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:33 AM

My Dell just started doing this a few days ago. When I click on the internet Explorer icon it opens the program twice. This means it takes twice as long to come on as well as shut down. I've ran a scan for malware and it found nothing. It actually places two little little sindows windows along the bottom bar. Any suggestions? I thought perhaps it was a faulty mouse, but, it does it also when I place the cursor on the icon and press the "enter" key.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:48 AM

If you close both pages and reopen IE does it still load two two pages?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 salem

salem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

Yes, after closing both, both will reopen.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:39 PM

Once the two pages are open, does it still continue to open two at a time?

What version of IE are you using?

Since this is posted in the XP forum, I'm assuming that you are using Windows XP.

Do you have SP3?

Would you please post the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 salem

salem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 04:35 PM

dc3: Dell computer mod#05D481 (I think, very difficult to read)

Windows XP Home

Internet Explorer ( IE7 )

Service Pack III

The programs operate independently of each other. I can view this forum on one and rv.net on the other.

Thanks for your interest.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:34 PM

After Googling the information that you posted, it looks like this is a Dell Dimension 2400.

Try upgrading to Internet Explorer 8. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...er/default.aspx

Alternately, you could try Firefox which is a stand alone browser which provides an extra modicum of protection.

The following is an excerpt from this article.

"Firefox is less vulnerable to certain attacks than Internet Explorer is because it does not support ActiveX, Microsoft's technology for sharing information among applications. ActiveX allows programs to be downloaded to a computer without the user's knowledge providing opportunities to writers of viruses and spyware. "Firefox doesn't have any of that technology, and so we think that that provides users with an extra level of protection."

#7 salem

salem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:56 PM

A friend suggested going into TOOLS, Manage Add-Ons, and disabling JQSIEstartDetectorlmpl. I tried that and so far it is operating corrrectly. Thanks so much for your time and interest. If the problem starts again I may have to follow your suggestions.

#8 salem

salem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:13 AM

That "fix" did not corrrect the problem. I hve installed IE8 at your suggestion. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users