Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running a 32 bit application exe with 64 bit OS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:26 AM

Hello ,

I have a application exe from my work that will only run and install on a 32 bit OS. I would like to use it on my W7 64 bit OS. I have tried right clicking on properties and then going to compatibility tab...then running it in XP or Vista mode none of them worked. I still get this error... this version of this file is not capable of running on a 64 bit OS. Is there anything else I can try? The exe ran fine with XP and Vista 32 bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:16 PM

What application is it?

most programs that will run on x32 and x64 operating systems usually have both install packages on the exe if it doesn't then you either need to get the x64 version or you are going to have to have to install a x32 version of xp or vista on another partion of your computer so you can at least use it some how.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

I ran into the same scenario with Musicmatch...there's a problem that cannot be overcome.

FWIW: Most of my other 32-bit apps work fine with 64-bit Win 7.

Louis

#4 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:11 PM

It is a special Tec software from my company called TEC & CCS. I have been reading about this virtual pc with W7 Ulimate & XP mode. Might give that a try.

#5 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:18 PM

Yeah that might work I thought that you said you already tried running that? My misunderstanding.

I hope that you have windows 7 pro or ultimate or else the virtual pc won't work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users