Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Advice on Storing Photos to CD-R

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:06 AM

Hello,

I never really got the hang of storing files to CD-R and CD-RW disks, so eventually gave up and moved on to using flashdrives, which are much simpler to use.

However, my wife and I are now in the process of scanning and saving about 30 years of family photos to my computer, and I'd like to try again learning how to save files to CD-Rs, since that seems to be a much safer, long-tern choice for archiving all our photos than keeping them on my harddrive.

I used to use InCD to store files on CD-RW disks, but eventually stopped because every now and then the CD-RW disks would suddenly claim to be 100% full and stop allowing me to save any more files. Is there a particular version of InCD that is more reliable than others when using Windows XP?

Also, I only used InCD for copying files to CD-RW disks. Is it possible to use InCD for also storing files on CD-R disks? If so, will it allow me to add files bit by bit, or would I have to copy them all in just one session?

I also used Nero a few times with CD-Rs, but couldn't figure out how to save files in more than one session. That meant that I had to save up a big bunch of files to copy all at once, or else waste most of the space on my CD-R disks. There is a free copying progrtam called CD Burner XP that some others have recommedned, but I've never tried it. Will this allow me to save a few photos at a time onto CD-Rs, and then keep adding more in the future, bit by bit?

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2010 - 10:15 AM.
Moved from XP to All Other Applications ~ Hamluis.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:13 AM

AFAIK...any version of Nero allows for multisession burns to CD. I have the 6.6 version and I have multisession options apparent, although I don't use such.

What version are you using?

As for InCD...it is a packet-writing format program, which allows a CD to be used in the same manner that a floppy might formerly have been used.

If the goal is to archive images, I would not suggest using InCD, just use the regular burn capabilities of Nero.

Please read the instructions (supplemented by the Help menus) for using Nero (or any other burn program) before trying to do anything with it.

Louis

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

As hamluis mentioned, you need to use the multisession option when burning CDs, to be able to add additional files at a later time.
Otherwise, the program will finalize the CD, effectively locking it, so no additional information can be added.

You can burn to CD-R, or CD-RW.
If this is for a one-time burn, and you don't ever plan to overwrite the files with something else, i would use CD-Rs.
Cheaper, and tend to store for a longer period of time.

Also, be advised that CDs don't last forever, so it's a good idea to re-copy them every few years.

Depending on how many photos you have, you might want to consider an external harddrive.
A 500GB, or 1TB drive should do nicely.
You should be able to get somewhere in the neighborhood of 2500, 2 MB photos, on a 500GB drive.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:35 AM

Definitely don't trust RW discs for long-term storage. Fortunately I fairly soon became aware of their unreliability when the office at my work had problems early on. Hence I never stored anything important on RW discs, for which I'm thankful as the few I did put some stuff on in the Win98/2000 days I've recently thrown out, all unreadable.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:24 PM

I am not a fan of multi-session burning, my experiments with it have not been fruitful, opening and closing the session a few times seems to work but after that it won't open anymore.

With cd's so cheap I would just wait till I have a few hundred megs in a folder and then burn it.

What's more important is using good blanks like verbatim or sony and using a good burner and a slow speed like 8x or 16x.

The best blanks in the world

http://www.supermediastore.com/category/u/...CFQpe7AodZ0nzHw

That said here's the guide for multisession and CDburnerxp

http://mp3.about.com/od/tutorials/ht/Multisession-Disc.htm

:thumbsup:

It's best to uninstall Incd, it causes more problems than it's worth.

As the author of Imgburn said

Packet writting programs are pure evil

Edited by DaChew, 14 September 2010 - 06:29 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 Torvald

Torvald
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds like I was right to skip using CD-RWs as being too unreliable.

I do have a 500MB external harddrive, but was hoping for something more permanent to store all these family photos on, just to be safe.

The version of Nero I used to have installed was version 6 (it's not curently installed right now). That is pretty old now (I think it was from 2003).

Therefore when I get a chance this weekend, I may try installing and trying out CD Burner XP, as I haven't tried that program yet. Will also need to buy some blank CD-Rs to practice on.

Thanks again.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:00 PM

I am still using Nero 6.6.1.5 from 2006, it's done almost everything I have needed for 4 years.

I noticed nero no longer supports free updates with the same family for nero 6

http://www.oldversion.com/Nero.html
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users