Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can the iPhone harbour PC virus/keyloggers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fgeelo

fgeelo

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:29 AM

I have a friend who is wondering, can the iPhone harbour PC viruses or a keylogger?

For example, when you plug in the iPhone, you are able to acess the internal memory where images are stored on it straight via "My Computer". Is it possible that a keylogger virus could be stored on that internal memory, and then when you plug it into another computer, it is transfered onto that computer?

So to be specific, the question is not about wether or not the virus would affect the iPhone but wether or not the iPhone could carry and transfer it to other PC's.

Thanks alot for your answers.

Edited by fgeelo, 13 September 2010 - 10:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 18 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

Well I suppose it could be possible if you had an infected file and put it on there and then plugged it in to the other one. So to answer your question YES but only under certain conditions. :blink:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#3 fgeelo

fgeelo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 05:03 AM

But what kind of file? His iPhone is not jailbroken, so the only thing he can transfer to it via that internal memory is images as far as I know. So could an image be infected?

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 19 September 2010 - 11:23 AM

Images could/can be infected any file format can become infected. But as long as the images are not transferred to the other machine the offending malware cannot transfer itself unless it installs a hidden file. I would not worry to much but I would run a scan with Malwarebytes anti malware which can be downloaded through the link in my signature. :blink:

Edited by computerxpds, 19 September 2010 - 11:24 AM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users