Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade to 64 bit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:49 AM

Morning, I recently replaced my mainboard and hard drives. The os is on a Seagate 500 gig 7200 rpm and the second drive is a WD 800 gig green 5400 rpm, The computer sees the drive in one system location but not in another? I wish to backup my files on the second drive but am not able to. Anyone have a clue as to why? I may not have wired the HHD correctly as in it is not wired in series?

Attached Files

Edited by audioAl, 13 September 2010 - 08:56 AM.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:39 AM

Today I'll try and rewire the entire computer the way I believe it should be, I can't believe nobody could respond to this problem?
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:10 AM

I'm not familiar with Vista...but, typically in Windows...if a drive/partition is not detected in My Computer, one of several possibilities exist:

a. The drive has problems.

b. The partition has problems.

c. The drive is not connected properly...this includes jumper settings if drive is PATA.

d. There is a conflict of drive letter assignment by Windows.

To narrow the problem down, first see if the drive is properly detected in the BIOS. Then, see if the drive is properly detected in Disk Management.

No BIOS...drive problem. Will not be detected in My Computer or Disk Management.

If drive is properly detected in BIOS and Disk Management...but no My Computer...possible NTFS problem or failing hard drive or duplication of drive letter assigned partition.

Louis

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 05:45 PM

It looks like you need to format that other drive and activate it.

#5 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:32 AM

Can you elaborate, how to format? Do I go into bios? Thanks for your reply,Alan

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

Right click on it in Disk Management Mark Partition as Active then you format it.

#7 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 05:44 AM

Right click on it in Disk Management Mark Partition as Active then you format it.

Thanks, I fiddled around and formatted the 800 gig disk. Now I can backup my entire computer there,Alan

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

Thanks, I fiddled around and formatted the 800 gig disk. Now I can backup my entire computer there,Alan

Happy Computing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users