Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

URGENT, Crashed / Lost Files

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 davexx

davexx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:16 AM

hi, first time here. let know if not posting right. (thanks in advance)
(not sure how to find this post agian, can search by date-time?)

installed security apps: (sbsd, mbam, sas, gmer, swb) with xp-home sp3
(spybot search-destroy, malwarebytes anti-malware, superspyware anti-spy, gmer rootkit, spywareblaster)

I had a problem with root kit infections, where i had 'Reset' my IE8 in the advanced tab.
using 3 or 4 security apps (only firewalls were xp & sbsd)
after 3 or 4 scans (sbsd, mbam, sas, gmer), i think removed all rookkits (10 scans later)..
for some reason sbsd is treated as an extension.. and had gotten turned off when I did the reset.

here I did a scan with sbsd, and deleted all green / non dangerous items, had not been deleting before today.

fairly certain problem is a separate issue. with what I saw online in reference to privacy, thought advice was to delete INDEX.DAT files.
DELETED 10 of 25 INDEX.DAT files (identified thru search of C:, access to hidden and system files)

if that is wrong.. not sure. at same time I did a delete of files thru an application called: INDEX.DAT Suite.
link:
http://download.cnet.com/Index-dat-Suite/3...4-10636438.html

keystroke: tools, cleanup, clean all:
- cookies, recent, temp, temp inet,
- registry: Comdlg32 MRU, FileExts MRU, Internet Explorer MRU, Map network Drive MRU, Run MRU, Stream MRU, Universal Extractor MRU, User Assist MRU, Windows Media Player MRU, Typed URLSs & IPconfig DNS cache

after which I noticed most all of my files in 'My Docs' were gone. (yep, I swore...)
I did a restore of INDEX.DAT files from the Trash Bin. (I only deleted about 10 of 25)

the index dat program went thru drive and deleted seemed many more..
(did not see in trash bin)

I did a system restore to a day completely before, but made no difference, so undid restore back to where am.
Files look like are just gone, the directory structure is still intact.

QUESTION:
Is there a way to get files back ?? thanks.

- Dave

Edited by hamluis, 13 September 2010 - 10:33 AM.
Moved from XP forum to Am I Infected ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

Do a repair install...if the missing files are system files.

Personally...I think you are probably still infected, but that's only a personal opinion with nothing to substantiate it. I'm moving this thread to Am I Infected, where someone can take a closer look.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users