Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Devices causing keyboard and mouse to freeze

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 graceman

graceman

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:00 AM

I have this issue which I first thought was a Windows issue but also happens when I boot in DOS or in Linux. When I plugin a non- powered USB device such as bluetooth dongle or a memory stick, the PS2 keyboard and PS2 mouse will stop working, the lights on both will not show and in Windows it will generate a BSOD after about a minute. If I remove the USB device only one either the mouse or the keyboard will recover.

I have a printer connected via USB and that works fine and when I connected a powered USB hard drive that worked ok.

Thank you for any suggestions you have that may resolve this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You did not post your computers make and model number, if you want better assistance you need to post that information.

I will off the top of my head offer what I think your porblem is.

It is very possible your motherboard does not have enough power to power up all your USB devices.

You have to remember, your devices borrow a shared resource of power from the USB circuitry on your motherboard.

If you wish to get around this problem, you can purchase a self powered USB HUB with multiports.

These come with their own power adapter and supplies power to the USB devices plugged into it.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 graceman

graceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:00 PM

Thanks Bruce for the welcome, it is a Pentium 4 PC with 2Gb memory with and ASRock P4165G motherboard. I have had the PC for several years without any issues. the bluetooth dongle was permanently plugged in for years and now freezes the keyboard and mouse once inserted. I tried the dongle in other machines and it works perfectly.

The issue started suddenly, the optical mouse also acts funny when the ethernet cable is inserted.

Graceman

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:06 PM

I re-read your opening post you mentioned a non-powered Bluetooth dongel.

I am curious what happens if you switch the USB devices around in the USB ports.

Let me know if this changes anything.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 graceman

graceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:21 AM

Hi Bruce,
I have tried putting things in different ports, at one point I thought all USB's were not working then I realised that the USB printer is working fine, I then plugged in an external harddrive that has it's own power cable and there was no BSOD in Windows like in others. I then I tried various devices while booted in Linux and I then noticed that mp3 player, USB stick and bluetooth dongle caused the mouse and keyboard to freeze, no lights would show. I have not tried using a USB mouse or keyboard as I have not got one.

Thanks

#6 graceman

graceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:56 PM

Hi Bruce,
Following your advice, I bought a powered USB port and connect all my non-powered devices through this and now even the PS2 mouse now works well.

However, I am wondering if this is a warning of problems with the motherboard or the power supply, as I have used this PC for over 7 years and I changed the motherboard 3 years ago and in all this time I have used non powered USB devices without any issue and the bluetooth dongle was permanently plugged in for at least 4 years and worked fine until I started getting BSOD in July.

Is there a way to find out if there is an issue with the motherboard or power supply. Everest Ultimate indicated that the CPU voltage is 1.6V.

Thanks

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:16 AM

Well I am glad that things have worked out with the powered USB hub.

Hopefully things will continue to run well with the present setup you have now.

As for checking the motherboard for signs of failure, this can be a very complicated procedure as it involves technical knowledge of how electronic circuits work and having the right test equipment on hand.

All the average computer owner can do is inspect the motherboard for obvious signs of failure which is burn marks on circuit boards and leaking or bulging electrolytic capacitors.

The power supply is best serviced with a VOM meter. However, there is only so much you can check for on the external side of the power supply.

Power supplies have dangerous amounts of electricity stored inside, that can cause serious burns or electric shock to the inexperienced repair person who attempts to service such a device.

Readings using a VOM meter are possible on the low current DC voltage wire harnesses that exit the unit.

You need basic wire codes and a description of the plugs pin-outs which are located at the end of those harnesses.

A service manual is required to make an accurate analysis, however I can point you to a web site to which there is a basic wiring diagram for most power supplies.

Here is the link. http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

I hope this helps you if you decide to do further diagnosis on either the motherboard or the power supply.

Make sure you heed my warning if you decide an attempt at servicing the internal section of the power supply.

Bruce.

#8 graceman

graceman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for you advice, I'll leave things as they are as I don't fancy messing around with live electricity

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 01:25 PM

I believe your decision above is a wise choice to make and I wish you continued good luck with your computer using the powered USB hub.

Kind regards as always.

Bruce.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users