Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freeze/Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rehio

Rehio

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:43 AM

Title isn't great, as it's more of a succession of problems than one problem that has occurred. I'm honestly not sure how else to phrase it.

Alright. I'm running Windows 7 Professional, and it's a pretty new computer (couple months). I run Malwarebytes, Avast, CCleaner, and defrag once a week (though I don't defrag the SSD), and have had no problems with anything of that sort.

About a week ago I started up my computer, only to find that it had a message saying something like "Cannot boot from this disk, select another." I restarted, tapped F8, and found that it was trying to boot from D instead of C. I selected C, my SSD, and the computer worked just fine. Everything was solid. I tried to research into what could've caused this and what it meant for my computer, but didn't find much. I gave up after a while, something I'm certainly kicking myself about now.

Tonight, something has apparently gone wrong. I was browsing the internet and I had made no recent changes to the computer other than downloading a couple files that, to my knowledge, were clean (used by many people, no alerts, nothing out of the ordinary). While I was browsing, my computer froze and the cursor went into "busy" mode. I was able to move the cursor but unable to click anything or affect anything on the screen. After a while of waiting and nothing happening, I restarted my computer.

It booted up, and it went back to the "cannot boot from this disk." I restarted and tapped F8, only when the list of places to boot from came up, it didn't show my C drive. Freaking out a bit, I restarted and tried it again. This time I could see my C drive, and booted from that. Everything started up okay. The moment I knew it had loaded, I pulled up Malware and ran a scan. However, about two minutes into the scan the computer froze again. Malware stayed on the screen, but the icons and taskbar disappeared from it. After a moment, a blue screen flashed for less than a second and my computer restarted itself (I have tried so hard to catch what it says on the blue screen, but it's too fast).

I tried booting in Safe Mode after that, only to find that the computer freezes in Safe Mode as well and makes itself restart.

I made a couple more attempts to boot up the computer, mostly to try and salvage some files to my external (nothing important, as those are backed up, just some things that would be really convenient not to have to get again). In those attempts I found that half the time the List of Places to Boot From would not have my C drive listed. When it did, sometimes the computer wouldn't even make it passed the loading screen.

Figuring that this stuff can't be incredibly healthy for the computer, I decided to stop messing with it.

I'm just assuming this is a hardware issue, as I have never encountered a problem with malware or viruses on this computer and scan frequently for such issues. I'm really not incredibly sure where to put this topic, but this seems like the best place for it.

I just.. kinda want some information, here. Whether it's something I'll be able to fix, or if I need to haul it off to my local computer store. They aren't open today, so I figure if I can maybe get some info or something.. I don't know. Honestly, I'm kind of having a melt down after dealing with this stuff. Went through hell trying to get a new computer, and it's pretty heartbreaking to get my ass kicked by over and over by electronics.

I apologize if there's any information that isn't here but should be. I tried to go over all the relevant stuff but I wouldn't be surprised if I missed something.

Thank you for reading this, and I'm sorry if I'm any bother.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:48 AM

hello...
could you provide more information about your computer specs???

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 Rehio

Rehio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 01:22 PM

For future reference, to anyone who encounters a similar problem, the motherboard shorted out.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

For future reference, to anyone who encounters a similar problem, the motherboard shorted out.

Hello I read this statement above and your origional opening statements as well.

You say your motherboard shorted out, I am not clear as to if you are saying your motherboard has sustained permanent damage or if you are saying it was shoted but you have been able to recover by making a correction.

Shorts can be caused by a motherboard to computer case stand-off making contact with a circuit trace which is close to the screw hole for the motherboard hold-down screw.

If the motherboard is slightly off a bit, this can cause a short to chassis ground.

Some motherboards can recover once the short is corrected.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users