Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outdated Driver

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Techtwin2

Techtwin2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:52 AM

I downloaded a system optimizer and it tells me one of my drivers is outdated, but when I try to update it it tells me "Your registration key has exceeded the allowed number of PC(s). xXxXxXx cannot download the driver updates. Please contact xXxXxXx with your registration key." What registration key and how do I get it/find it?
The driver is Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller, Version 5.1.2600.2180, Driver Date: 7-1-2001.
My computer system is Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 2, eMachine T3516.
If you need more information that that tell me.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:09 AM

These sort of programs tell you your drivers are out of date and want you to pay to get a version of the program that will supposedly update them for you. The program probably does in fact do this, but it will be installing a driver that is downloadable for free anyway from the device manufacturer's website.

The need for drivers to be up-to-date is overstated. The oldest driver ever produced for a device is fine if it causes no issues. However with that said, there are potential reasons to prefer recent drivers if they are available, from the point of view of possible bug fixes or performance enhancement. The latter is most noticed with video drivers.

Have you noticed anything about your computer that would make you think it might have a driver problem? If you wish, we can help find current drivers for it, but if I were you I wouldn't put much faith in what one of those programs says unless the computer shows a problem that would confirm that diagnosis. For example, the driver quoted is Windows own standard IDE driver.

I'd be more concerned that the system should be brought up to Windows Service Pack 3 in order to maintain security by still receiving automatic updates. It is possible that SP3 might install a later version of that driver anyway.

Edited by Platypus, 13 September 2010 - 02:15 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users