Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Technopobe help ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jase77777

jase77777

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

Im a complete technophobe. The only reason I got a computer was to play fantasy football. Its a used model, from a friend, and I cant get ahold of them for help,and I hate to put a lot of money into it. Having problems with start up, slow loading. Ive tried the XP help site. Is there a free scan and fix site you would recommend ? Thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:06 AM

If you could tell us the exact problems you are having, including any error messages you may have received, we may be able to help you.
Also, what is the make, and model of the computer?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jase77777

jase77777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 06:12 AM

I dont get any error messages. It either wont open Windows or Firefox at all or takes a long time to do so. TY

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:26 AM

jase77777,

When you say that Windows or Firefox won't open or take along time to do so, I'm guessing you mean when trying to use either the "Windows Explorer" or "Firefox" programs to access the Internet. Is that correct?

Are you also having any trouble with your computer starting up, running any other programs, etc.?

Do you know how to determine the make and model of your computer plus determine what version of Windows is currently installed, or will you need some coaching from us on how to do that?

Regards.

Edited by Torvald, 13 September 2010 - 10:26 AM.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

I believe there is a basic communication problem due to terminology. When Windows is mentioned it usually is referring to the operating system, in this case you have indicated that you use XP. Are you referring to the operating system not loading?

If this computer is a retail desktop model, there should be some indication of the manufacturer and model on the exterior of the case.

If it's a laptop, this information should be on the bottom of the case.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jase77777

jase77777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:55 PM

t says Everex on the case. IE 7 and Firefox are loaded. Sometimes everything is fine....point and click. But a great deal of the time niether one will open. Start menu wont even appear. I get " Unresponsive script " a lot. TY

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:59 PM

Is this the error that you are getting?

"Firefox may give you a "Warning: Unresponsive script" prompt that says "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding."

This is from an article by Mozilla which contains some possible answers to what may be causing this, and what can be done.

I don't think this is all of your problems, but a least this will shed a little light of this aspect of your problem/s.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/warnin...sponsive+script

Everex makes both laptops and desktop computers. But that by itself doesn't help with identifying your computer's model.

It would help a great deal if you would expand on your description of what is going on with your computer.

Start at the beginning, what happens when you go to start the computer, and does this happen every time?

When you get the Firefox error message, will Firefox open if you close it and try again?

Here's a simple one, is this a desktop or a laptop?

If we can't get some definitive answers we can't help you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 jase77777

jase77777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 05:13 AM

Lol....the simple questions I can answer. Its a desk top. When I start the computer, it shows both user accounts. I click on mine, enter my password, and after a few seconds the start page appears. I hit " start " and click on either IE or Firefox. Sometimes it will open fairly quickly, but usually it takes a very long time. I get several " Unresponsive script " messages at different times. One mentions a " Chrome " script problem even though I dont use Chrome and have removed the program. Let me know what else I can tell you. And TY for all your help !

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 09:25 AM

Alright, let me see if I have this correct. The computer boots up normally, but the problem is with either of your two browsers (IE or Firefox) not opening properly at times? This problem with the browsers is intermittent?

When you try to open either of these does it ask if you wish to use this as your default browser?

I would suggest that you stick with one browser and make your default.

Here are instructions for setting a default browser.

Go to Start and click on Control Panel, click on Set Program Access and Defaults. Click on Custom and make sure that Internet Explorer is unchecked in the Choose a default Web browser. Click on OK.

Note that if you choose Firefox for your default browser you will need to have the Windows updates set to Automatic.

Personally I prefer Firefox for the added security.

The following is an excerpt from this article.

"Firefox is less vulnerable to certain attacks than Internet Explorer is because it does not support ActiveX, Microsoft's technology for sharing information among applications. ActiveX allows programs to be downloaded to a computer without the user's knowledge providing opportunities to writers of viruses and spyware. "Firefox doesn't have any of that technology, and so we think that that provides users with an extra level of protection."

Edited by dc3, 14 September 2010 - 09:26 AM.

#10 jase77777

jase77777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 02:28 PM

Thanks ! Ive run some trouble shooting programs like Microsoft Fix It and Avira. Are there some others you would reccommend ? BTW....everything is working great today !

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 06:34 PM

The electronic monster is just trying to lull you into a false sense of security. :thumbsup:

#12 jase77777

jase77777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:08 PM

Lol.....it will probably keep running great until its time to turn in my Fantasy football lineup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users