Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer opens each time I start up in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 troberts265

troberts265

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:10 PM

Every time I start up (I am using XP), a window for My Computer opens. I have tried all of the following and nothing gets rid of this.

Checked the Start Up listing and found no start up file relating to My Computer
Checked the file directory in Explorer under my name and all other users, including administrator for the Start Up folder and there is nothing in it
Tried the process of a selective start up in System Configuration Utility and it only re-appears in the start up mode when I finally tick the box for "Load startup items"
Checked the Boot.INI folder and there is nothing in there relating to My Computer

I have seen this problem on quite a few forums and tried pretty much everything that has been suggested but nothing works!!!

Any one got a suggestion? My next alternative is to do a repair of Windows XP.

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2010 - 01:19 PM.
Moved from Windows Startup Database to XP forum ~ Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:03 PM

Tough one...

OK, let's try Explorer view of My Computer...Tools/Folder Options/View tab. Scroll down to Restore Previous Folder Windows At Logon and make sure that it's unchecked.

If that doesn't work, then let's try the following, if you are comfortable attempting a registry edit.

Warning: The following attempt involves editing the registry. Please backup your registry before attempting to begin this edit. A good tool for backing up the registry is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool, http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/.

Start/Run...type regedit and hit Enter.

This will open up the registry editor. Then navigate to:

HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon

In there there should be a value (on right hand side of screen) called Userinit.

The data for this value is probably something similar to [b]C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Note that the comma is the last item in this string, must be there.

If you do see a duplicated string in there similar to the above - simply double click on the Userinit value and edit the data so as to delete everything to the right of the first comma (,).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 September 2010 - 02:06 PM.

#3 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:46 PM

Just to eliminate the obvious are any of your keys on your keyboard stuck?

If not then maybe you should try AutoRuns install it and run it and then check your login tab and Explorer tab for my computer listed in one of these and then delete it when you find it.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

Is it HP computer?

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:39 PM

What is opening?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

a window for My Computer opens

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users