Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezes when browsing Windows hotfix folders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rorohiko

rorohiko

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

Hi,

I never experienced this before, but when I try to access the following hotfix folders the PC freezes. I found this as my Avira scan kept stopping (and Windows shut down itself with a message I never saw it before) and tired to see it with Windows Explorer. I searched on the net, but couldn't find any solution yet. It looks updspapi.dll is somehow corrupted. I used the DOS command and I could use DIR command to show the files in the folders, but COPY and MOVE commands just hung. I narrowed down to five folders by scanning only selected folders/files. I used SUPERAntiSpyware, which hung at the same place. I cannot remember when was the last successful scanning by Avira, but it could be a year ago. Certainly I installed some softwares since the last scanning, but I cannot tell exactly which ones were installed since the last scan. I have another PC with XP Home SP3 and I don't have any problem accessing these. I thought this could be a virus at the beginning, but not sure now. Any help is appreciated.

Hotfix folders
C:\WINDOWS\$hf-mig$\KB899587\update
C:\WINDOWS\$hf-mig$\KB899589\update
C:\WINDOWS\$hf-mig$\KB899591\update
C:\WINDOWS\$hf-mig$\KB900725\update
C:\WINDOWS\$hf-mig$\KB901017\update

The first four parent folders, ie, KB.... not update, show the same timestamp - 20/2/2008 1:12 pm and the last one shows 1:13 pm.

The message when Windows shut down after scanning by Avira (PC didn't shut down. Just the following message was displayed with blue background color.)

*** start
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

A process or thread critical to your system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps.

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows update you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable computers, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x899E9258, 0x899E93CC, 0x805D2954) * this changes each time

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administration or technical support group for further assistance.
*** end

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:50 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html.

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users