Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD-RW drive shows as CD-ROM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:57 PM

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop. It has a Sony DVD RW drive in it. When I place the DVD in the drive it changes the drive to CD. It also shows the size of the disk as 0. I am using Verbatim Blank DVD's. Any ideas what could be going wrong? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:13 AM

Have you tried loading a DVD movie to see if it loads and plays?

I can't find the link I had to this problem for some reason.

Hey I only have like 360 links bookmarked as it is. :thumbsup:

I believe there was a registry tweak but without the proper information, I will not offer that advice.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:53 AM

Normal operation with an unformatted disk. My HP does the same thing, for the past 3 years, and numerous reformats and OS reinstalls.

EDIT: Checked on 2 other machines. The XP shows the "CD Drive" when a blank DVD is inserted in the DVD drive. The WIN7 rig shows the proper "DVD RW" and "BD ROM" on the Blu-ray. Too late to check the Vista machines.

EDIT 2: I always knew my HP lappy acted like that with blank DVDs, but I never noticed it on another XP machine till I looked just now.

Edited by dpunisher, 13 September 2010 - 01:15 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 05:32 AM

I've never regarded this as a problem. When I insert a blank DVD (also Verbatim), my DVD-RAM drive
description changes to CD Drive. Doesn't stop my burning program recognising the disk correctly.

It's not long after the burning process finishes and the disk is ejected for the description to
return to normal, (without rebooting).

(Dell Dimension 4600, desktop, XP Home, SP3).

#5 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the reply!

The disk is empty and that would mean there is no used space. However, this would also mean there would be 4.7 GB of free space listed. When I put a blank CD in it does show as having 720 MB of free space. I tried a DVD movie in the drive and it worked fine. Is it possible that the verbatim DVD disk is not compatible with this disk drive?

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

It is possible.

I know when I put blank DVDs into my drive, I get a window that pops up and mentions burn files to DVD disk using........

Then there is a list of possibilities, since I have Nero 10, Windows Media Player 12, CDBurnerXP, DVDFab 8 and imgBurn, those are often listed in the list of options.

Of course not all the above programs burn DVDs, but I included all the burning programs I have installed and use frequently.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 13 September 2010 - 09:34 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users