Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RS232 Serial Port Connector USB adapter?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 helloyo53

helloyo53

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 07:57 PM

Hi.

Bought a GPS a while ago for geocaching, but just found a cord for it today. It is a RS232 Serial Port Connector. Turns out, there is no port for it in my computer. Is it possible to get a USB adapter for it? Are there such things as those?

Here is a photo of the RS232 Serial Port Connector I have: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=654

Thanks.

Edited by helloyo53, 12 September 2010 - 07:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

Perhaps one of these will work?

http://www.google.com/search?client=firefo...G=Google+Search

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 helloyo53

helloyo53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Glad to see such thing exists. Do you think they would sell such a thing at a place such as The Source?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

I'm not familiar with The Source, except for James A. Michener's novel by the same name. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:47 AM

I've personally never used one of the serial-USB adapters but I've read that they are hit or miss as to whether they will work or not. If you do get one, please report back to let us know how well it works.
To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

I've personally never used one of the serial-USB adapters but I've read that they are hit or miss as to whether they will work or not. If you do get one, please report back to let us know how well it works.

The model that I suggested was originally suggested in a recent post by tg1911. He has used one and is pleased with it.

#7 helloyo53

helloyo53
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

Well my dad ended up finding one at The Source yesterday (The Source by Circuit City, it's like Radio Shack). It works perfectly. I was able to load GPX files onto my GPS with no problem (except for the fac that when I was loading the files, I had to choose a different GPS model). So it works perfectly. Thanks for everyone's input.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 10:59 AM

Glad to hear that you solved your problem. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users