Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung's competition to the iPad

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:25 PM

Samsung are going to release a competitor to the iPad which, in my opinion, seems far superior...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11163687

The device will run on Google's Android operating system, with a capacity of 16 or 32GB, expandable by 32GB more.

It weighs 380g (14oz), and has an 18cm (7in) screen - smaller and lighter than its principal rival the iPad.

The tablet can connect via 3G networks, as well as wi-fi and Bluetooth.

I didn't really get the iPad, it just seemed too lacking and too expensive, but with a wave of new tablets about to follow...then perhaps I might be persuaded to tablets at least. What do you think?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Talk2TechGuy

Talk2TechGuy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 06 November 2010 - 09:43 PM

I have an iPad and it is a very good unit. It's main limiting feature I find is no real Pen input for note taking. Apps are growing daily and almost anything you can think up is there. That is going to be the limiting feature for others is available & usable apps. New devices need to have a differentiation factor.

#3 Vonnegut

Vonnegut

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 09:51 PM

Steve Jobs didn't sound too scared when asked about the competition.
The main reason is the apps store, it will take a while for the droid
to match it. He has to play down the competition though, so you can't take
too much from that even though his logic is sound.

#4 iHeartMalware

iHeartMalware

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

I have an iPad and it is a very good unit. It's main limiting feature I find is no real Pen input for note taking. Apps are growing daily and almost anything you can think up is there. That is going to be the limiting feature for others is available & usable apps. New devices need to have a differentiation factor.

HTC (http://www.htc.com/www/product/flyer/overview.html) is coming out with a tablet that will have a pen. I think that alone makes a device like this more functional and less of a gadget for gaming and accessing information.

Android out sells iPhone (as in the operating system) in the smartphone market, the most popular apps will start showing up for both. I see the same thing happening in the tablet market as well. This has happened once before; when Microsoft Windows started showing up on all IBM PC clones and Apple OS was only on Apple machines. Granted the market is a little different now then it was in the 80s/90s. It will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few years.

Interesting side note: Linux is finally getting into the hands of the general public, through Android.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users