Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Won't Start .... Help Please.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bigdaveinnj

bigdaveinnj

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:06 AM

OK... This time I really managed to screw things up. I downloaded a program called FREE-BROWSER http://www.lilsarge.com/FreeBrowser.htm.

While installing it I got a message saying something about problems regestering a file and unfortunately I didn't write it down but I chose the option of RETRY, and then it said theb installation was complete and to restart the computer.

Well... after restarting, my wallpaper will load, my taskbar will flash once and then all I have is a wallpaper with no icons or anything.... I don't even have an ERROR message. When I hit control/alt./delete it shows nothing is loaded and I get the option to shutdown/restart. Rebooting several times has produced the same results. I can move my mouse... but that's about all I can do.

I am now at the library and will attempt to download a BOOTDISK from BOOTDISK.COM and put that in the floppy and just see what happens.

Any suggestions? evidently I stupidly forced a file onto my PC that has interfered with my Windows and unfortunately I don't have my Win98se CD. Hopefully I will be able to correct this issue.

One more thing.... how are issues like these fixed when you don't have any ERROR MESSAGES to work with?

So.... what do i do now?

Thanks in advance

DAVID

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

Can you boot to safe mode?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 bigdaveinnj

bigdaveinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:17 AM

Hi... SAFE MODE does the same thing. I am here at the library and have created a BOOTDISK from BOOTDISK.COM....

Now... other than putting it in my floppy I have no idea what it is for or how this can be a step towards fixing this issue...

Thanks

DAVID

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:45 AM

c:\scandisk
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:16 PM

1.Start Windows in MS-DOS mode (press the Ctrl key as soon as your PC starts. This will get you the Bootup menu. Once the menu is up, choose Command prompt only) or Restart the computer. When you see the "Starting Windows" message, press the F8 key, and then select Safe mode command prompt only from the Startup menu
2.Type Scanreg /restore at the prompt
3.You will get a screen where you can select which registry backup to use
4.Choose your backup and press Restore
5.When ready you'll be prompted to Restart your computer
Hard to remember Win98, but i think there is a BOOT.LOG file in the Windows folder (???)

Edited by raw, 09 November 2005 - 03:24 PM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 bigdaveinnj

bigdaveinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:22 PM

Hi... I will try the suggested fix you reccomend. The only thing is that someone here at the library who is seems to know a little bit about computers has suggested that this is a FILE VERSION issue and nothing to do with the registry. I don't know if that's true or not.

Again... when installing, I got an error message which I should have copied down that said something about problems registering a certain file. I kept hitting RETRY... and was asked to re-start. Well... she never started.

Thanks

DAVID

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:41 PM

The fact that you were unable to install a program may be due to a "file version issue" but the fact you cannot boot Windows is not (in my opinion). I suggest you follow the advice given and get your computer running again.

Btw - Firefox is a free browser, and it's past the Beta stage too! Firefox.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 bigdaveinnj

bigdaveinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:38 AM

Thanks... for all of the help. Evidently I made a mistake when creating the FLOPPY BOOT DISK. I downloaded the file to the desktop here at the library and then sent it to the floppy drive. "A" I guess I was supposed to double-click the downloaded icon and EXTRACT the files to the floppy, which I failed to do.

I have also told that I may need to adjust the BIOS startup sequence on my PC to make sure that my PC sees the floppy drive before the HD. I have a book with such instructions.

OK... I'll let you know how I make out.

Thank You

DAVID

#9 bigdaveinnj

bigdaveinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:17 PM

OK... still haven't been home yet to the ailing PC. FWIW... I emailed the program developer and asked him if he could give me a list of some of the files which came with the program which possibly could affect the system if it were the wrong version... and he gave me a list of 4 of them.

comdlg32.ocx
mscomctl.ocx
MSVBVM60.dll
shdocvw.dll

Now... those files mean very little to me. Could a missplaced one of them or wrong version cause my PC to not be able to load Windows?

Thanks

DAVID

#10 bigdaveinnj

bigdaveinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 09:41 AM

OK... still haven't been home yet to the ailing PC. FWIW... I emailed the program developer and asked him if he could give me a list of some of the files which came with the program which possibly could affect the system if it were the wrong version... and he gave me a list of 4 of them.

comdlg32.ocx
mscomctl.ocx
MSVBVM60.dll
shdocvw.dll

Now... those files mean very little to me. Could a missplaced one of them or wrong version cause my PC to not be able to load Windows?

Thanks

DAVID

bump

#11 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:47 PM

Those are VB6 runtime files.They let programs written in VB6
run on your computer. They "should" not have anything to do with the boot process.
Since the site forums weren't much help (51 posts,21 members) and the
fact that this is a VB program which is most likely tied into IE it very well
could have damaged something. I do not put much faith in this "Free Browser"
Hopefully the Scanreg /restore will put you back to a point before you installed
that browser.
FWIW i use and highly recommend Firefox for internet browsing.

PS:what part of NJ?

rawsig.png

#12 bigdaveinnj

bigdaveinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:36 AM

Thanks... I live in CENTRAL NJ, not far from Asbury Park/Seaside/Point Pleasant etc...

OK.... scanreg /restore didn't go back far enough, therefore no luck. I was thinking of trying scanreg /fix, but not sure that would help.

Also... I checked the BOOT DRIVE SEQUENCE in set-up and Drive "A" (FLOPPY) is listed first. For whatever reason, even though I have the BOOT DISK I created at BOOTDISK.COM in the floppy there is no mention of it when the PC is trying to boot up. I see references to the "C" drive, which is the HD.

I created the boot disk exactly as the instructions said to, and the floppy is certainly formatted by I don't know why my PC don't see it. The little green LED by the floppy comes on.

Any ideas?

Thanks

DAVID

#13 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:35 PM

Are you sure the floppy is listed in the BIOS as the first boot device?
BIOS is usually accessed at first boot by pressing F1,F2 or Delete key,
it should say on the POST screen. If its going too fast you can push the Pause
button on the keyboard and it will pause until you press another key.

rawsig.png

#14 bigdaveinnj

bigdaveinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:30 AM

Thanks... YES, the "A" drive is listed as the FIRST in the list, and the HD is 2nd.

Thanks...

DAVID

#15 bigdaveinnj

bigdaveinnj
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2005 - 05:57 PM

Thanks... :thumbsup: Problem is solved. Here is the fix that did the trick.

From the startup menu (tap F8 at startup) select Command Prompt Only.
At the C:\> prompt type

cd windows\system (hit enter)

At the C:\windows\system prompt type

copy shdocvw.bak shdocvw.dll (hit enter)

You should get a "1 file copied" message.

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to restart. See if this restores your desktop.

I'd like to thank all who offered their support for helping me out with this issue. Now... I'm back in business :flowers:

Thank You

DAVID :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users