Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ethernet connection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dragen

dragen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

Hi
My nephews computer crashed. I bought a new hard drive and a new copy of windows xp sp3 put in the drive and installed windows. when i pluged the ethernet cord in the computer doesn't seem to even notice the cord pluged in. I went to the hp web page and installed all the drivers ecept the ones dealing with the old hard drive, still nothing. I've tried uninstalling the network driver and rebooting with no improvement and i've tried to reinstall the drivers still the same. the computer is HP Pavilion Media Center a1610n Desktop PC. any help would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:03 PM

Configuring your computer's Ethernet adapter

1. From the Start menu, click Control Panel.
2. Double-click Network Connections.
3. Right-click the Local Area Connection icon, and then choose Properties.
4. On the General tab, highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
5. Choose Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain a DNS server address automatically.
6. Click OK.
7. Uncheck the File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks check box. Doing so will configure your computer so that no one can browse the contents of your computer over the campus network.
8. Click the Advanced tab.
9. In the Windows Firewall section, click Settings, and then choose On (Recommended).
10. Click OK.
11. In the Internet Connection Sharingsection, uncheck the Allow other users to connect through this computer's Internet connection check box if it's not already. (Note: Most desktop computer users will not see this setting.)
12. Click OK to save the settings.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users