Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet EXplorer works but Ping does not

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 C_Man

C_Man

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:19 PM

I have a strange problem in that my browser (IE 8) works normally, but ping does not connect to external adresses and does not connect to the default gateway (192.168.2.1). This is a problem because a software package that I recently purchased does not see my internet connection and needs to see it for activation purposes.

So after running Ping, Pathping, Ipconfig, Repair from the Network connection folder, and Network diagnostics, I learned the following:

Ping loopback address (127.0.0.1) is successful
Ping Localhost is successful
Ping Default gateway (my router's adress, 192.168.2.1) FAILED
Ping external sites (eg., www.google.com. www.amazon.com, etc) FAILED

The error message from the Pings that fail is DESTINATION HOST: Unreachable

Since the problem seemed to start with the router (although why I can access the internet via Internet Explorer normally is beyond me), I then ran ipxroute and found the following error message:

Unable to open transport \Device\NwlnkIpx I am not sure what to do with this error message?

I also used netsh int ip reset resetlog.tct to re-install the TCP/IP components, but no luck.

At this point, I need help. Have tried safe mode with the same results. Re-ran the networking wizard, but again no luck.

Any guidance on what to do next would be appreciated.

Thanks,

C_Man

Windows XP Pro, LAN configured with ICS, using RJ45 cable connection to router

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C_Man

C_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 03:16 PM

I am embarrassed to admit it, but after all of this extensive troubleshooting, I remembered in the back of my mind that I once had a problem with the McAfee Firewall. Sure enough, disabling the McAfee firewall solved the problem.

Thanks anyway.

C_Man

#3 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 04:49 PM

Yep, I was just about to ask what firewall(s) you have running.

Glad you got it fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users