Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop is blocked, cannot access desktop icons

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Andrija1901

Andrija1901

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

Hy there...

I have a Dell Latitude E6500, Windows Vista Business ,SP2.

For the last 2 months I have problem with my desktop getting blocked and I cannot access the desktop icons directly; they can only be accessed through explore/start button.

The only way the desktop is succesfully unblocked is log off option, afterwhich I can access the icons normally.

I haven't found any specific problem or action triggering the problem, it just occurs (usually every day, 3-4 times).

Only thing I can mentioned as significant is that, couple of times I used the task manager, there are 2 users under users/ID section.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Andrija

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2010 - 06:10 PM.
Moved from Vista forum to Am I Infected, moved back to Vista ~ Hamluis.

May the force be with you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

how long has this problem occured?
sytem restore to an earlier point maybe

#3 Andrija1901

Andrija1901
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Hi there...

First of all, thanks for the reply.

This problem has occured for the first time two monhts ago...

As I mentioned before, desktop freezes twice a day and when I log off it operates normallly.

I have scanned with AVG in safe mode and no errors were found. I have also scanned with RegistryBooster and it discovered high number of errors related to registry and user account as well (since it was a trial version, I wasn't able to resolve them immediately).

Since this is a business laptop and I am not quite clear on effect system restore makes on docs on the computer (especially e-mails that are quite important and saved locally, i.e. not on server or anything alike), I am not sure SR is the best option. Also, I have some problems with IE (it freezes quite often) that have started some time ago, I cannot pick a date of SR with certainty.

Do you have any other ideas what could be done?

Some kind of scan or something related. I have run memory and processor diagnostic and no problem popped out!

#4 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:19 PM

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

you could try this to see if its malware related if so post here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...EE&rid=3324

as far as system store is concerned you will not lose any saved files http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2010 - 04:38 PM.
Typo :)~Hamluis.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

I have also scanned with RegistryBooster and it discovered high number of errors related to registry and user account as well (since it was a trial version, I wasn't able to resolve them immediately)

You're lucky person then.
Registry tools are not recommended and here is why: http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/02/reg...weaking_13.html

Did you try system restore to before the problem started?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Andrija1901

Andrija1901
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hy guys,

I have scanned with all tools you suggested and only superspyware has discovered one tracking cookie that was then delete

Any ideas what to do next? What could be the problem?

Regarding system restore, oldest date available is 2 September so I think this doesn't solve my problem

Thanks

Edited by Andrija1901, 16 September 2010 - 12:11 PM.

#7 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 02:13 PM

try this http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2009/05/25/sf...he-easy-way.htm if it doesnt work look below

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/138-h...air-windows-xp/

this seems to be your only option left my friend i know for a fact this will work the only thing you will have to do after this is reinstall your windows updates

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

there are 2 users under users/ID section

Please download Profiles by noahdfear.

* Save it to your desktop.
* Double-click profiles.exe and post its log when you reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#9 Andrija1901

Andrija1901
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 01:53 AM

@rockmill - I have run the sfc and it says that some files could not be repaired. If you want, I could post the log.

I haven't tried the other suggested action since I don't have Vista CD with me as instructed in detailed instructions.

Hovewer, desktop didn't block yesterday and today at all and I am not sure what actually helped. Also, IE didn't blocked in same period???

I will give my comp a few days of trial:) and will get back with information.

@Broni, I have done what you have asked and the related log follows.

Thanks for help guys, any other possible suggestion (if needed) is appreciated.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-18
ProfileImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ %systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-19
ProfileImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-20
ProfileImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-3987449727-2148852667-3535920664-1000
ProfileImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Users\DELL

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\S-1-5-21-3987449727-2148852667-3535920664-1001
ProfileImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ C:\Users\LogMeInRemoteUser

ProfileImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService
ProfileImagePath REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemRoot%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService
SystemRoot REG_SZ C:\Windows

Edited by Andrija1901, 17 September 2010 - 01:54 AM.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 17 September 2010 - 02:05 AM

What do you mean by blocked?

Can you post some pictures?

#11 Andrija1901

Andrija1901
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hello there..

I could not access any desktop item neither by double-clicking nor right-click. Only way I was able to open the icons was through start/explore button.

Fortunatly, everything seems to be working normally currently and I am not quite sure what of the above procedures worked for me.

Thanks

Edited by Andrija1901, 17 September 2010 - 10:17 AM.

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2010 - 03:50 PM

Keep us posted....

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 Andrija1901

Andrija1901
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:14 AM

I will, no problemo:)

#14 Andrija1901

Andrija1901
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hello guys,

I am back. My desktop&IE problems are still gone.

However, I have found a new pain in the ass - ad.yieldmanager (2).txt. I did a little research on your site, red the block cookies instructionsand altered my security settings and scanned with superspyware again. Now it found 12 different treaths and the log is posted below.

I have also red that the good thing to do after this kind of scans is to make a new system restore point.
First question is: should I do it?
Second question: Do I need to do any more relating to these 12 treaths above?
Third: Should I remove Superspyware since AVG is also providing antispyware protection (in order to avoid conflicts between these two)?

Thanks again for all the help.

Here is the log:
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 09/18/2010 at 10:49 PM

Application Version : 4.43.1000

Core Rules Database Version : 5531
Trace Rules Database Version: 3343

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:25:15

Memory items scanned : 771
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 8919
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 28304
File threats detected : 12

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@questionmarket[2].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@atdmt[1].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@microsoftsto.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@invitemedia[1].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@avgtechnologies.112.2o7[1].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@interclick[2].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@chitika[1].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@revsci[1].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@collective-media[1].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@winzip.122.2o7[1].txt
C:\Users\DELL\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\andrija.garofulic@doubleclick[2].txt

Edited by Andrija1901, 18 September 2010 - 04:03 PM.

#15 rockmilk

rockmilk

• Banned
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

these are justtracking cookies no harm here and its up to you to remove cause the free version of superantispware doesnt provide realtime protection so there is no conflict meaning it only runs when you scan with it you can use msconfig todisable it starting up whenthe computer does and use it to scan your computer its not a bad person to have on your team so to speak makesure to update before each scan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users