Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major PC screw-up stories

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jnk1296

jnk1296

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:16 PM

Anyone out there have some interesting stories about stuff they accidentally did to their pc?

Here's one of my stories:

At the time, i had my HDD divided into two partitions. One for Windows XP, and one for Windows 7. I had been testing out Windows 7 during the prior week, but had found XP to be better suited for my needs. So i decided to get rid of Windows 7. So i fired up my Partitioning software, and deleted the Windows 7 partition w/out a hitch. Then it gave me a pop-up asking me to restart so that windows could take advantage of the new space. So i did. The computer shutdown, and the BIOS logo appeared, then i was presented with the following: NON-SYSTEM DISK OR DISK ERROR. REPLACE AND PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE. I had forgotten that when i installed Windows 7, it over-wrote the boot-loader. So when i deleted the Windows 7 partition, it deleted the boot-loader, and rendered the entire HDD unbootable! So i spent the rest of my night installing Windows XP on the available HDD space, and recovering all my files! :thumbsup:

What's your story?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

oh heres a story that actually started with BC. A friend on here gave me a intel celeron 2.66 ghz LGA 775 CPU, so I thought hey cool Ill get some used parts cheap off of ebay, and build myself a cheap machine to experiment with Linux. Well, easier said then done, I made the assumption that a LGA 775 CPU will work in any LGA 775 motherboard, so I bid on, and one a Biostart TP-45e combo that was sold as a non working motherboard because it hadnt been tested-but appeared to be in good shape. I got it, slapped the CPU in, and it didnt work. So Im like huh no big deal, probably defective motherboard, so I get on newegg and order a open box motherboard thats garenteed to work. Well, I got it, and it didnt work either, so after doing some research, found out that the CPU only works on a motherboard that supports a 533 mhz FSB, and both the motherboards I had only went as low as 800 mhz. So here I am with 2 motherboards that I wouldnt have needed if I had done some research on the CPU. I finally just gave up on said CPU, got on ebay and purchased a pentium D 930 that runs at 800 mhz FSB, and here in comes the funny part. The "non-working" motherboard off of ebay for 34 dollars, when the proper CPU was inserted, worked fantastic, While the 50 dollar ASRock motherboard I got off newegg, was defective, and my dumb butt forgot to return it within the 30 days, and I know have a 50 dollar paperweight layin around my apartment.

Anyway, that was my major goofup. . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:41 PM

My previous computer, a quad core desktop, was calling me names, so I smashed it up. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users