Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PCI Multimedia Audio Device problem

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:15 PM

Hi y'all!
Going to wear out my welcome here....

'99 Dell Dimension XPS R4000 - Win 98 [year 2000 update] v4.10.2222A - Pentium II 400Mhz, showing 198Mb RAM, so probably 256Mb total, unknown HDD right now but plenty big. I 'Installed?' 2005 Memorex 52Maxx 32-52 CD-RW.

In System Information I looked at: Components, clicked on Multimedia, then CD-Rom & my mouse pointer again started flashing between arrow & hourglass as mentioned in another thread.

Looked under Sys Info 'Miscellaneous', a 'PCI Multimedia Audio Device' is listed, and under Problem Devices: 'This device has a problem: Code=28 (0x1C). The drivers for this device are not installed correctly. To install the driver for this device click the Driver tab and then click Update Driver.'

Looking in Device Manager: PCI Multimedia Audio Device a big yellow ? and 'No drivers loaded'. Trying 'Update Drivers' or 'Install Driver' deadends, 'No drivers available/found'.

Problem is, I haven't the faintest idea what exact 'Device' it is?? Could it be the CD-Rom I clicked on that caused the mouse pointer changes? Or, is the system looking for a Sound Card that went bye-bye? Mouse pointer changes stopped when I shut off SetIcon.exe also.

Under System Information 'Running Tasks': it shows: 'Ddhelp.exe, DirectX Helper' running, also 'MMTask.TSK Multimedia Background Task Support'. Wonder if the MMTask.Tsk Multimedia Background Task Support could be connected to the PCI Multimedia Audio Device that has 'Problem', and if this is all about a missing sound card?

Under Registry: it shows:

XceedSoftware.XceedFtp1 Xceed Ftp Control v1.0
XceedSoftware.XceedQuickFtp1 Xceed Quick Ftp Control v1.0

No idea what that is, but I'll look it up...

Any sugggestions appreciated, thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:25 PM

as mentioned in another thread

...which would be?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:38 PM

Which would be: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=346759&hl=

Xceed Software stuff above is apparently developer's Active X controls, with mention of Silverlight, whatever that is.

Further info probably connected to all this silliness: I have no System Sounds whatsoever; all appears to be enabled, but no noise....

Edited by Spectacle, 12 September 2010 - 12:42 PM.

2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Here is what I believe to be your computer support page along with Windows 98 drivers.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...anConsent=False

Silverlight is a browser enhancement that is installed in C:Programs\silverlight. You must have downloaded it from Microsoft or recieved it as an windows update.

The page I linked you to should be the drivers for your system.

If linked you to the wrong computer please let me know.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 September 2010 - 12:56 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:59 PM

Here: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...anConsent=False are all your drivers.
However, there are 8 different audio drivers by 4 different makers, so we need to know, what you got there.

Go here: http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx...;l=en&s=gen, select "Support for Home Users", enter your computer service tag number and find out what audio you have there.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

Following me, Bruce?....LOL

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:14 PM

:thumbsup:

Following me, Bruce?....LOL

Yes I always follow my >friends< just can't help myself. :flowers:

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:16 PM

Hahaha...:thumbsup:

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:20 PM

Not to get off topic here, but we always work well as a team and I just want everyone to know.....that is what Bleepingcomputer is all about....TEAMWORK!

Just remember there is no I in TEAMWORK. :thumbsup:

Now back to the topic.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 September 2010 - 01:20 PM.

#10 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

Hey guys, thanks! Some good stuff to get started with there!

This is a hand me down computer, following the crash of my other machine last month. Person I got it from received it the same way, and original owner is long gone: therefore no idea at all what was ever on it!

I see some stuff on it dealing with movies & media, so I'm going to guess it had a Sound Blaster card or something. No Audio card in the mahine now, and a good Sound Blaster card is just the thing somebody might migrate to another computer, hmmm?? That would explain why system sounds are AWOL.

Might have had Silverlight too, I'll do some more snooping. This stuff's difficult on an old machine with no known history, as you boys know so well hah!

Thanks for the help, I'll let you know what I come up with...

Quick note: yep, the first link was correct, thanks, so I'll be busy. Checking the others after some downloading....

Edited by Spectacle, 12 September 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#11 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

#12 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:10 PM

Well gents, a very long & thoroughly annoying day here. Ended up flying loops all day long, still don't think I got anywhere. Stalls & errors got worse & worse.

Removed SetIcon, whatever it was. Later had more stalls, then shutdown problems where msgsvr.exe 'Not Responding', used End Task, then a freeze, so a couple of dozen hard shutdowns. Went to Microsoft Knowledge Base, an incredibly frustrating experience, and the only thing I came up with was KB 169987 from the Win 98 Knowledge Base archive, but M/S fought me all afternoon refusing to display it. Also said it didn't exist in maybe 20 different searches of their knowledge base. Simply amazing. Finally got to it and it said the msgsvr shut down problem was probably tied to Power Management and idle etc. and to disable. Did that, and no improvement, possibly worse?

Chasing after that I also tried to correct the problem with yellow question mark beside Multimedia device in Device Manager. Removed it, because it didn't exist. Now when booting up a popup says that Windows 'Found a new PCI Multimedia Device'. Well, so vry good for you, Windows, thing is, all PCI slots are empty, there's nothing 'PCI' installed, no sound card so there's no PCI device to find!

The only hardware change I had made was to stick a Memorex 52/32/52 CD-RW drive in it 2 days ago, but it already recognizes that, sort of. Can't get it to work, but it's listed. Can't see how that could be seen as a PCI Multimedia Device.

I went to the Dell site to see about driver downloads and couldn't figure out what I wanted, so that was a big zero. Worn out, waiting for the next stall & lock up...

Thanks, guys!

I have another thread going in the Win 98 forum about a problem I thought was unrelated: wrong! Here's the other thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic346759.html

Edited by Spectacle, 12 September 2010 - 10:20 PM.

#13 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,699 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:17 PM

Download System Information for Windows: http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html to your Desktop.
Get SIW Standalone (English-Only).
Double click on siw.exe to run the program.
Go File>Create Report File>HTML
Save the file to known location.
Zip the file, and attach it to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#14 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:24 PM

Sometimes an on-board device will show up as a PCI device.

I would take it this computer has on-board video?

Bruce.

#15 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

Thanks again, Broni, but I don't think this machine has a program to Zip a file! I'll do as suggested and try to figure out how to zip it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users