Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows-virtual Memory Minimum Too Low.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daveyboy154

daveyboy154

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:11 AM

Hi Everyone

I have a problem with Windows X Home (SP2) whilst playing Civilization 4. After an hour or so playing the machine becomes incredibly slow and eventually, when I exit, the following messages pops up:

"Windows-Virtual memory minimum too low. Your system is low on virtual memory.Windows is increasing the size of your virtual memory paging files. During this process,memory requests for some applications may be denied.For more information see help."

I have run a search on these forums and found a post which was something similar, but related to updating ethernet drivers to fix a memory leak. Sadly, I am not sure how to do that!

I am running a 2.2 AMD processor with 512mb memory and a radeon X800 pro graphics card (with up to date drivers and direct x 9.0c)

Sorry if that isn't enough info - I am not totally sure what to post but if you can help and need more info, please ask.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 PM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:53 AM

How much hard drive space do you have free? When was the last time you did a disk cleanup. I recommend downloading cCleaner if you don't have it and using it everytime you boot. Look int he cCleaneroptions and tick run on startup.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:20 AM

First thing you can try is to turn off things you have running in the background.

Secondly you can go to Start, right-click My Computer and select Properties. Select the Advanced tab and then go to Performance Settings. Then again select the Advanced tab and there, under Virtual Memory, you can you can change how much harddrive is used for virtual memory.

When you get a Virtual Memory too low in a gaming situation, you should think about getting more RAM.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 daveyboy154

daveyboy154
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:00 PM

Thanks for both replies.

I have 137GB free on my hard drive, with 47GB used and did a defrag and ran registryfix a couple of days ago.

Thanks to the above post, I have changed the memory page size to the maximum and also stumbled accross the tab to update the drivers for all the hardware, which I have done anyway (only a couple had newer drivers, mostly network cards.)

If all else fails, I will open the cheque book for some more RAM. Is 512 not much to have these days?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated,

Dave

#5 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 05:33 AM

Is 512 not much to have these days?

You're will be able to play games with 512MB for some time yet, but it has gotten so far that games easily use more than 512MB, up to over 1GB, so even 2GB isn't overkill.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#6 daveyboy154

daveyboy154
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:57 AM

Thanks Mr Alpha, in addition to the above steps and I changed the settings on the ATI control panel to balaned rather than having everything on maximum quality. That, combined with the other steps above has made a massive difference.

I think I will get some more memory anyway though,

Thanks for the advice,

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users