Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with "documents and settings" folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sag12I

sag12I

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

hello,

I have uninstalled Windows Vista on my computer and reinstalled XP a year ago. My user profile is in "Users" instead of "Documents and settings." That's not the problem.

My problem is that I just uninstalled Quicktime and for some reason it said "Desktop.ink refers to a location that is not available" or something like that. Then I saw that the stuff on my desktop and the programs in the start menu are gone. I saw that my desktop folder, the start menu folder and my documents pointed to the wrong folders. It was supposed to be C:\Users\Michael.DR-GV85YTALXPRF but now it's C:\Documents and Settings\Michael.

I tried deleting "Documents and Settings" but when i logged in again i saw a message that said "Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile" with a countdown timer.

I am using Windows XP Home SP2, I have antivirus and antispyware installed. I tried system restore, didn't work.
Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:30 AM

Hi sag 121, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

When you attempted the system restore did you pick a date that was prior to this problem?

You can also try using the Last Known Good Configuration in the advanced boot options.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:35 PM

The Docs & Settings folders...contain the user profiles (My Documents, My Music, Favorities, etc.) for users on a system. That's the way that XP is set up (I can't address Vista because I've never installed it).

The Control Panel/User Accounts...is what I consider a control, reflecting the users and profiles which are reflected on a system in the Docs & Settings folders.

The Docs & Settings folders are system folders and (normally) cannot be deleted in the same manner that any file can.

Sounds to me...as if you have a damaged profile. You might take a look at Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151.

Louis

#4 sag12I

sag12I
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:43 PM

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users