Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer slows down the longer it is on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mad_brewer

mad_brewer

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:21 AM

After PC is on it starts to get sluggish to the point of becoming unusable until reboot, and all is fine after reboot until it slows down again. It will start out by just seeming a bit slow, then even things like typing get delayed or opening or closing windows. A few times it got so bad it appeared that the screen wouldn't even refresh.

PC is Vista 64 SP2 with 8GB RAM. I see no new or suspicious processes or resources; disc activity, CPU, and memory usage seem normal. The problem does not seem to occur with any particular application.

What I've Done:
HP hardware scan - ok
Everest scan - ok
Norton 360 complete scan - ok
Malwarebytes scan - OK
Rootkit Revealer - app crash every time I run
Sophos Anti-Rootkit - found hidden files, all seem legit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:29 PM

How much time does it take for it to get sluggish?

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 mad_brewer

mad_brewer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:53 PM

It seems to slow down after a couple hours of use. Last night I booted before I went to bed and left it on - this morning it was still fast. After using it for a couple hours (off and on) it already slowed down. So it seems like it's use and not time the machine is on.

I did the Speedfan thing but forgot to post the results. Right now it shows core at 37C with CPU at about 40%. It says fans are at 0 rpm.

Everest reports temps of 36 for the cores and 48 for CPU. It also reports 107C for motherboard. I know this is not accurate - after booting cold MB read at 95C. It also shows 1619rpm for chasis fan and 993 for power supply fan.

AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core Processor 2.30 GHz

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

with CPU at about 40%

Does the above number grow with time?

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 mad_brewer

mad_brewer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:45 PM

The CPU typically doesn't go very high unless I'm running a lot at a time, such as processing large files in Photoshop.

I have process explorer already installed but I'm going to hold off on posting the log, I may have found the way-too-obvious answer. The plugin container for Firefox was crashing several times a day. When I use Photoshop or similar application I listen to streaming music and was using FF for XM radio. So to avoid FF locking, I installed Rhapsody last Monday... just about the time things started slowing down. I turned on Rhapsody this morning and just turned it off for a reboot and the PC sped up again. Coincidence? I'm not sure at this point but will test this theory later.

I'll report back here if/when I'm convinced Rhapsody is the culprit. Thanks for your help.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

I suggest, you disable plugin container altogether: http://www.technogadge.com/how-to-stop-fir...er-exe-process/

My Website

#7 Eddi81

Eddi81

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:35 PM

Don't make it in a mess.Just find someone who knows it,everything will be fine.Take it easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users