Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Pro Kicked Offline By Firewall ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xtraloud

xtraloud

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:31 AM

Hello all,
I did away with the problematic ME software and now am trying to learn XP Pro.

I am using a wired D-Link router with DSL high speed service.

One gig of RAM, 256 video card, and a 1.5 processor.

Also included is AVG, Zonelab, Spybot, and Spyware blaster.

While there is activity I am fine, butt if I walk away from the keyboard for an hour and try to resume where I was at, I am no longer connected to the internet. ZL gives me a box saying the svchost is being blocked. I have allowed it full access with the program control panel settings, butt it is still timing out somewhere ! I check the router time out setting, 0, and have green checks across the board in ZL for this service.

Upon reboot all is well again until there is a lapse in activity, and then I get the ZL box !

Can someone give me some direction towards a solution, btw, I have had my IP check the line and re-check the line, it runs fine when it is running....................

Thankx,

xtraloud
Those who wander
are not always lost

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:35 AM

What version of XP Pro are you using? Does it have SP2 (SP2 has a firewall)?
start > right click on My Computer > Properties

If so, you may have two firewalls running at once, Windows firewall and ZoneLabs firewall (if you have the ZoneLab firewall). But it is easy to check and should be the first thing to check IMHO.

To turn off Windows firewall:
Start > Control Panel > Security Center
Scroll down to the bottom of the page, click on Windows Firewall to open up a window that will allow you to turn it off.

Running two firewalls at once is not a good idea.

Like I said, this is a quick and easy thing to do, and may be the problem. Let us know.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 09 November 2005 - 07:35 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 xtraloud

xtraloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 06:43 AM

Well, reboot me in the ...........

After posting yesterday I let it run all day while I was away, and when I returned and brought the screen back up, it did not have the ZL error box and my browser was still connected !

I AM using Zone Alarm free firewall AND the XP firewall, (sp2). I have IE 6 with a proggy called NetCapture as a headend for the browser.

I am going to let it sit again today, and if I still have the error message this evening I will try losing the XP firewall and see what happens.

Thankx again for your input, AF,

xtra
Those who wander
are not always lost

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:22 AM

You are welcome. Keep us posted.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 xtraloud

xtraloud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:49 AM

Go figure !

Yesterday morning I awoke to a dead 'puter ! The power supply decided to give up and I had to get a new one. (Fry's here in Texas is a great store !)

I went into the, "alerts and logs" of Zone Alarm and manually configured the router addy to the, "trusted" zone. It had been acting fine till the dead ps part !

I left the browser open last nite and this morning there was NO error box from ZL and my browser did a re-fresh like normal ! ! !

I know more about "svchost.exe " than I ever did, put that into Google and see how many topics there are ........................................

:thumbsup:

xtra
Those who wander
are not always lost

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users