Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not just slow, REALLY slow

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mbdelong

mbdelong

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:00 AM

I accidentally shut off my computer by pulling the plug. Now, the computer is unbelievably slow. Everything is slow, not just boot-up (it takes 25 minutes to boot up). Folders take a minute to open. Programs take 5 minutes to start. Open windows take 2 minutes to close. It is slow in safe mode - every mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:14 AM

Hi mbdelong, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 David McMahon

David McMahon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

Try a CheckDisk (chkdsk)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:36 AM

I would run the System Restore first. If unplugging the computer damaged some files this will return the computer to the state it was in prior to unplugging it.

Try a CheckDisk (chkdsk)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

If you are going to suggest that someone run chkdsk, you should specify which one to run. In this case a chkdsk /f will find damaged files and attempt to repair them. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 David McMahon

David McMahon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:06 PM

True, but wanted the KB article to do the talking. I use /f/v myself, also note the chkdsk log appears in the Event Viewer if you miss it whilst running.

Edited by David McMahon, 12 September 2010 - 12:06 PM.

#6 mbdelong

mbdelong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:31 PM

Did a system restore, with no change. Still takes 20 minutes for the Start button to appear. Doing a chkdsk now. Wondering if I damaged the motherboard, processor, or memory.

#7 mbdelong

mbdelong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:54 PM

Good news. I opened the computer and re-seated the memory and connectors, and now it works as before!

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

Good to hear. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users