Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Argh! Wireless Network Help Required

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kinetic Dan

Kinetic Dan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:12 AM

HI folks, I desperately need some help, hope someone can sort this for me!

I have a brand new Sunsung X05 with Wireless Internet, I can find available networks, connect to them, and wil show connection strength and transfer speed.

HOWEVER, if I try to use the Internet or access e-mail through Outlook Express, both act like there is no connection. Internet Explorer simply brings up the 'Cannot Find Server' error page, and likewise Outlook Express says it cannot find the server either.

This only happens on Wireless. I can run through my ADSL connection and surf/e-mail fine. I can even plug in an external Wireless adaptor that goes into the network and USB ports and that works fine too. But the inbuilt Wireless system is driving me CRAZY!

Please, please, anyone have any ideas what can cause this, and how to solve it?
Samsung X05 Notebook, 512Mb RAM, Pentium M 1.6Ghz, 40Gb HD

Windows XP Home SP2, Firefox v1.5

AVG Free v7.1 Anti-Virus, Spyware Doctor v3.2, Spy Bot v1.4, TuneUp Ultilities v5.0, Mailwasher 5.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:39 AM

What router or wireless access point are you using? Is the wireless NIC setup like the wired NIC? Is the wifi compontant in the notebook compatible with your LAN? Is it 802.11a, b, or g? What freq is you wifi on your notebook verus you router/access point? 2.4ghz or 5ghz? I see that notebook is a 1.6 ghz which I would guess is a couple + years old?

Edited by acklan, 09 November 2005 - 07:40 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Kinetic Dan

Kinetic Dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:57 PM

What router or wireless access point are you using? Is the wireless NIC setup like the wired NIC? Is the wifi compontant in the notebook compatible with your LAN? Is it 802.11a, b, or g? What freq is you wifi on your notebook verus you router/access point? 2.4ghz or 5ghz? I see that notebook is a 1.6 ghz which I would guess is a couple + years old?

OK, not very techy but this is what I can tell you;

What router or wireless access point are you using?
No idea, I'm referring to when I try to access 'free' open wireless networks in cafes, airports, shopping centres, hotels and the like

Is the wireless NIC setup like the wired NIC?
No idea what this is, sorry!

Is the wifi compontant in the notebook compatible with your LAN?
Again, don't know as I'm trying to access free open networks available in public areas.

Is it 802.11a, b, or g?
802.11b

What freq is you wifi on your notebook verus you router/access point? 2.4ghz or 5ghz?
2.4Ghz

I see that notebook is a 1.6 ghz which I would guess is a couple + years old?
Just bought brand new from a retailer, don't think the model is that old?

AVG Free v7.1 Anti-Virus, Spyware Doctor v3.2, Spy Bot v1.4, TuneUp Ultilities v5.0, Mailwasher 5.1

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:26 PM

I'm sorry about that. Sometime it's easy to get lost in the technology.

The router or access point are devices that allow you to connect more that one computer to the DSL modem. Sometimes the DSL modem has one built-in. If you can tell us what type of modem you are using. Brand name if possible and model.

Wireless NIC is the device that transmitts and receives the internet for your computer. on a notebook it can be built in or pluggrd in through the USB or type II PC card slot. If you quote your computer manual abotu the 802.11b then that is your wifi, and it is built-in.

I hope I did not confuse you.

One of two things is happening. You are receiving you neighbor's signal (Not uncommon) or you need to configure your provided DSL modem/wireless router. Did you receive software with your modem?

#5 Kinetic Dan

Kinetic Dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:30 PM

I think you've gotton a little confused!

I do not run a wireless network at home, I use a hardwired ASDL modem and phone line.

The problem I am having is when I am 'out and about' and trying to use wireless services in cafes, libraries, airports etc!

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2005 - 10:46 PM

OK. I did not see that is your original post.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 11:20 PM

Kinetic Dan - I don't use those kind of facilities (cuz there aren't any round about) but I recognise what your trying to do. Basically you want IE and OE to use a different NIC when your away from home. Is that a profiles issue? Should you set up another user and run the network wizard there? Just thinking out loud. :thumbsup:

Here's a guide which may help -see the 'Make the Connection' part.
Using Wireless Hotspots

Also some detail on network settings:
Connecting to Public Hotspots

Reading that it looks like you need IP addressing and DNS set to automatic, no proxy settings.

Wish I could be more help. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Kinetic Dan

Kinetic Dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:56 AM

Kinetic Dan - I don't use those kind of facilities (cuz there aren't any round about) but I recognise what your trying to do. Basically you want IE and OE to use a different NIC when your away from home. Is that a profiles issue? Should you set up another user and run the network wizard there? Just thinking out loud. :thumbsup:

Here's a guide which may help -see the 'Make the Connection' part.
Using Wireless Hotspots

Also some detail on network settings:
Connecting to Public Hotspots

Reading that it looks like you need IP addressing and DNS set to automatic, no proxy settings.

Wish I could be more help. :flowers:

PERFECT! After looking through the Troubleshooter, it did indeed tell me to check that my IP/DNS settings were set to Auto, which they weren't!

Haven't been anywhere with a wireless network to try it out, but I'm sure that's fixed it.

Many thanks, Rimmer, and thanks to Acklan for your assitance too!

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2005 - 01:30 AM

You are welcome. I sorry I could not hve been of more help. Please let use know how it turns out.

#10 Kinetic Dan

Kinetic Dan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:24 AM

Just to let you gyuys know, I have checked Wireless Connection and it's now wprking perfectly!

Thanks again!

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:59 AM

That's good news! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#12 Lily Livered

Lily Livered

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:36 AM

Since the original poster of this thread has been helped, may I ask a question along the same lines? When I take my new laptop (which has wireless) to a hotel (for the first time) that has free internet, is the recommendations for the original poster what I would need to do too to be able to get online through the hotel?? If so, how do you do that?

Hope it's okay for me to ask here since Kinetic Dan has his answer...if not, my sincere apologies!!

ETA: Ah nevermind, I'll read the links first. Sorry.

However, there is a motel here in town where I've heard that a truck driver whom my sister knows, sits in their parking lot and uses their internet then goes down the street to stay at a different hotel!! I could go check it out to figure out how it's done so I'll know when I go out of town!! Gotta read those links first.....

Edited by Lily Livered, 14 November 2005 - 03:40 AM.

Dell Inspiron 6000--Mobile Intel Pentium M 730J/1.60GHz--512MB--60 or 80GB HD, can't remember for sure--wireless--XP Home SP2
AVG--ZoneAlarm--Ad-Aware SE--Spybot S&D--SpywareBlaster--SpywareGuard--Ewido--a-squared--CCleaner--HJT--IE and Firefox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users