Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow "save picture as"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 adamxx

adamxx

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:06 AM

I am having a weird behavior with "save picture as" from Internet explorer. It takes forever to save the file, then after the file is saved, another long time if I want to navigate away from the webpage. I orginally thought that there is something wrong with the disk. But then I found the problem occurs only with IE and not other software when I save a file. Then I tought that this is due to Norton Internet Security 2010. But then I do not have a problem with Save target as and download a file.(I think Norton checks the file whether I save picture as or save target as. I also disabled all componets of Norton2010 and the problem continued. I then found a thread that Aropos malware can cause this. I downloaded the removal tool found through alink in one of the messages in this forum and ran the tool. Ther was no Apropos. One odd thing I found is that when i try to save the file to "Mypictures" folder, it takes much longer than other folders oin my C druve or other drives, but the save as to those drives/folders has also been slower than how it used ot in the past.

What additional info do you need to diaginize this? Anything I should do that may get rid of the problem? I ran Norton 2010 several times and it only finds tracking cookies.Hope you will help.

Thanks

Arun

Edited by adamxx, 12 September 2010 - 12:11 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:47 AM

See, if you have same issue in Safe Mode with Networking.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 adamxx

adamxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:36 PM

I tried in Safe mode with networking and save as is working really fast. Your question seems to be on the dot and I am now hopeful you will be able to help me get rid of the problem,

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem, or better?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 adamxx

adamxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:28 PM

I tired it, it as you suggested but it did not help. I turned off the Nortom firewalland turned on Windows firewall. leter I even turned off the Windows forewall, but no help. I thought maybe it is the website .. but the save picture as is slow even in other sites. I noticed even the "save tagret as" gives problems, in the sense, that even thoug I do not notice when the file is downloading, if I click back arrow of the browser, it takes a while to go back to the previously visted page. So I tried to re-test in safe mode, so when I went back to the same website in Safe Mode with network option, and the save as was fast in safe mode, the back arrow worked the instant the picture was saved..

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:01 PM

Re-enable all startups and services you just disabled.

For testing purposes, uninstall Norton, using Norton Removal Tool: http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/kb/...0080710133834EN

Make sure to turn Windows firewall on.

See, if it helped.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 adamxx

adamxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 04:46 AM

I uninstalled Norton and save is fast. (After a year of going without Norton, I re-subscribed becasue I had AVG and MalwareBytes yet had issues with malware as well as viruses). What should be my next step now?

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:53 PM

Good news :thumbsup:
Do you still have AVG installed, or you don't have any AV program at the moment?

You have to remember, that there is no perfect security program. It's mostly about your computer habits.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 adamxx

adamxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:10 PM

I uninstalled it. but is there any thing I can do so Norton does not slowdown web?

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,618 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:21 PM

Make sure, you run AVG Remover: http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-tools to get rid of all leftovers.

I'm not a Norton's fan and frankly speaking, I think it's not good security program, so I can't recommend any fixes.

Since you have to have some AV program, I recommend, you go with one of these:
- Avast! free antivirus: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
- Avira free antivirus: http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1/avira..._antivirus.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users