Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove statup program seticon.exe

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Spectacle

Spectacle

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 11:50 PM

Hi all!

Temporary replacement computer for my other crashed machine is running Win 98. Has a startup program SetIcon.exe that was part of a past 6-in-1 Media Card, or part of a Pocket Drive 2.0 install. Whatever it was used for is long gone.

I have continuous lockups & stalls, then end up in forced shutdown because Task Manager can't even break through the glitch. Had mouse pointer continually changing from arrow to hourglass and back again, every second or so, thn a freeze.

Discovered that SetIcon.exe program in startup, researched it, and then disabled in Task Manager soon as I boot. Problems instantly disappear, at least so far, and program isn't apparently needed.

So, how to I drop-kick that thing outta here? Tried to use Add/Remove programs but it started an installer for SetIcon, not an uninstaller! Can't remember anything else about Win 98...

Thanks for any help!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:51 AM

Did you try disable it in "msconfig"?

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

Well its probably something set in Windows startup. You can use Run: msconfig as Broni says or you can download and install CCleaner which still works on Win9x/ME. Just look in Tools - Startup and see what is listed.

If you don't need this app you can search the registry Run: regedit and delete every reference to it. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

Thank you!

I've been using XP too long and can't remember how to do anything manually in Win 98. Also can't find my old pile of printouts with all my Win 98 instructions and tips.

Sorry to ask, but can you step-by-step on the items suggested?

Is CCleaner dummy proof?

Thanks!
2000 Dell Optiplex GX-110, P3-847Mhz, 384 Mb SDRAM, Matsu 80GB HDD, XP-Pro SP3, Online Armor Pro 4.0.0.15, with Avast! Free, Super-Antispyware, Malwarebytes

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 11:35 AM

Start>Run, type in:
msconfig
Click OK.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:58 PM

Thanks, buddy!

Did as suggested, we'll see if things improve!

Gettin' a little tired of the old rigamarole of the classic 'One thing after another syndrome'!

Thanks again!

#7 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 02:01 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

Is CCleaner dummy proof?

I'm afraid CCleaner isn't dummy proof on Win9x/Me. With the later WinNTs you can disable them or delete them if I remember right on 98 you can only delete so you better of using msconfig. :thumbsup:

Keith

#9 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

Well gents, a very long & thoroughly annoying day here. Ended up flying loops all day long, still don't think I got anywhere. Stalls & errors got worse & worse.

Removed SetIcon, whatever it was. Later had more stalls, then shutdown problems where msgsvr.exe 'Not Responding', used End Task, then a freeze, so a couple of dozen hard shutdowns. Went to Microsoft Knowledge Base, an incredibly frustrating experience, and the only thing I came up with was KB 169987 from the Win 98 Knowledge Base archive, but M/S fought me all afternoon refusing to display it. Also said it didn't exist in maybe 20 different searches of their knowledge base. Simply amazing. Finally got to it and it said the msgsvr shut down problem was probably tied to Power Management and idle etc. and to disable. Did that, and no improvement, possibly worse?

Chasing after that I also tried to correct the problem with yellow question mark beside Multimedia device in Device Manager. Removed it, because it didn't exist. Now when booting up a popup says that Windows 'Found a new PCI Multimedia Device'. Well, so vry good for you, Windows, thing is, all PCI slots are empty, there's nothing 'PCI' installed, no sound card so there's no PCI device to find!

The only hardware change I had made was to stick a Memorex 52/32/52 CD-RW drive in it 2 days ago, but it already recognizes that, sort of. Can't get it to work, but it's listed. Can't see how that could be seen as a PCI Multimedia Device.

I went to the Dell site to see about driver downloads and couldn't figure out what I wanted, so that was a big zero. Worn out, waiting for the next stall & lock up...

Thanks, guys!

Have another thread going in the Internal Hardware Forum, which I thought was unrelated, but same computer. This is a duplicate of the last reply there to that thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic346836.html

Edited by Spectacle, 12 September 2010 - 10:19 PM.

#10 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

Well gents, a very long & thoroughly annoying day here. Ended up flying loops all day long, still don't think I got anywhere. Stalls & errors got worse & worse.

Well I would still say you have things running in the background that are not really needed. Start you computer up in normal mode when you can only see your desktop do a Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up Task Manager. Write down everything thats shown and post it back here. Actually there are only 3 processes that need to run to make Windows operate.

Now another good free app that you can use is Process Explorer 11.21. Even though it says it runs on all Windows versions 11.21 is that last version that runs on Win9x/ME. That will show all processes running and you can select an item and press delete to remove it. If its needed by Windows you'll get a message can't remove or something like that.

There is also HijackThis 2.0.4 that will show a list of everything running usually at startup and you can remove items from the list.

Just reading your previous posts I don't see anything about the amount of memory you have. Just right-click on My Computer and select Properties and tell us what the bottom line says about Memory? :thumbsup:

Keith

#11 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hi Keith, thanks for the help & links!

Bottom line shows 192Mb of Ram.

I'm still having problems with this old Dell Dimension XPS R400, Win 98 with stalls & lockups. Wondering which of the follwing are absolutely necessary and which can be safely deleted?

My System Information > Startup Programs shows:
2 entries for Load Power Profile - Registry - Rudll32.exe powrprof.dll, Load Current Power Scheme. [According to Microsoft certain Power Profiles can cause system stalls just like I'm having.]

Also MMTASK.TSK Multimedia background task support. [Doubt I need this as all I use is system sounds, not currently working, display, keyboard, mouse and HDD, CD-RW & CD-Rom drives.]

Also Mpexe.exe Win32 Network Interface Service [I don't have or want any networks except my dial-up network connection.]

Also MSGRV32.EXE 32bit VxD message server [I don't use any message or chat programs, only use Outlook Express & Internet Explorer. I think this program was mentioned as possibly causing system errors?]

Task Bar Start Menu > under Startup Programs > Exploring > Internet Tools:
Net Meeting [not needed?]
Personal Web Server [not needed?]

Exploring > System Tools, shows:
NetWatcher [Not needed ???]

Thanks!

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:02 PM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

Thanks, Hi Broni & Keith,

Finally got 7-Zip to download & install. Downloaded Auto-runs 10.02 from SysInternal but when I tried to open it I got error messages that 'AutoRuns.exe file expects a newer version of Windows - Upgrade your browser'. When trying to close a Windows[?] error popup window: 'A device attached to the system is not functioning'. The download page said XP or later, so looks like 10.02 is a goner for old 98 machines.

Tried AutoRuns SC and got in trouble there too, had difficulty closing that one too. The SC program had no drop down to select text, except for a dropdown that listed TrueType such as 2x7, 2x8 etc. which I didn't understand.

I have managed to download HijackThis and Process Explorer.

So far tonite, after removing a few programs & items from Start menus this morning, I haven't had a stall or hang, and before it would have hung by now. That's good, but I thought it was fixed a couple of times before, so....?

Going to use Process Explorer to see what's running.

One point of confusion for me, among so very many of same, is what Microsoft/Windows means by a 'Mulitmedia Device'. To me that could be speakers, sound card, video card or somesuch, but could the reference be to a CD-RW drive or something like that?

Thanks again guys.....

Edited by Spectacle, 13 September 2010 - 09:26 PM.

#14 Spectacle

Spectacle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 12:14 AM

Okay, another exercise in futility here. Impossible to open HijackThis and use it, and equally impossible to use Process Explorer!

I was able to unzip with 7-Zip, read the text file describing the program, and view the EULA, sounds nothing short of fabulous. Cannot make the .exe file execute. I had downloaded 2 copies of the program, can't remember how that is, but regardless: neither ProcessExplorer.exe will open. Main download is unzipped but no go on installing the program. 2 or 3 attempts gave a brief window like an installer or extractor and showed the progress bar shoot across, then nothing happened or to be found.

I was doing better on the stalls but it was still hanging on executing commands in Internet Explorer site windows. Now the mouse pointer is back to its tricks of changing from arrow to 'Wait' hourglass at about 3 second intervals and stalling some again.

Also noticed that when it hangs the IE globe in upper right corner of Explorer window is still spinning, as if it's loading, but then the lights go out on my internet connection icon down in the tray. Globe keeps spinning, but that's it, page doesn't finish doing what it's supposed to. Next thing program stops responding, it may respond to shrinking to task bar and be able to be closed from there, or it may hang. During attempted shutdown the window pops up: 'This program is not responding' but it never has a title to say WHAT PROGRAM, and clicking 'End Task' causes a final freeze. Last option is Ctrl-Alt-Delete and this only causes a forced hard shutdown.

Thanks fot the help guys, don't know what else is possible now.....

Edited by Spectacle, 14 September 2010 - 12:15 AM.

#15 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2010 - 11:31 AM

Okay, another exercise in futility here. Impossible to open HijackThis and use it, and equally impossible to use Process Explorer!

I was able to unzip with 7-Zip, read the text file describing the program, and view the EULA, sounds nothing short of fabulous. Cannot make the .exe file execute. I had downloaded 2 copies of the program, can't remember how that is, but regardless: neither ProcessExplorer.exe will open. Main download is unzipped but no go on installing the program. 2 or 3 attempts gave a brief window like an installer or extractor and showed the progress bar shoot across, then nothing happened or to be found.

Which Process Explorer did you download? I said the last version that runs correctly on Win9x/ME was 11.21. HijackThis is supposed to run al all Windows systems do you get any error message?

Just out of curiousity which Antivirus are you using?

You haven't really posted the full list from Task Manager have you?

It should work with 192MB Ram but this will depend on what processes are using it at any one time. Process Explorer will tell you which app is using the most and total resources are at the top. Obviously more Ram will help, I had 639MB in my Win98SE.

7-Zip isn't a zip its an installation exe.

Process Explorer is a zip file you just extract it to e.g. Program Files\Process Explorer and make a short-cut on your desktop for procexp.exe.

Which IE are you using the last one that works with Win98 is IE 6.0 SP1? :thumbsup:

Keith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users