Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Frequent Memory Dump crashing.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LikaLaruku

LikaLaruku

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 10:58 PM

Okey, now to give as much information as possible.

Problem:
----------------
When online, I will get a BSOD. It always says the same thing; ***Stop: 0X0000008E (0XC0000005 0X8053BA08, 0XB7C609EC, 0X00000000).
----------------

System info:
----------------
*Windows XP HE SP3.
*300GHz Pentium 4 CPU.
*Sony VAIO, about 5 year old.
*3VGA nVidia 7600GT card.
*1TB Western Digital external hard drive; My Book Essential, less than a year old.
*C drive; 37% free space. K drive; 88% free space.
-----------------

Steps taken:
----------------
*Defrag both drives after every installation/uninstall.
*Chkdsk run on both drives.
*Avast antivirus & Threatfire firewall show no infections.
*CCleaner run regularly after surfing or playing web games.
*Shockwave, Java, Flash, Quicktime, & Firefox plugins updated.
*Old Java updates removed from both C drive & Firefox add-ons.
*Firefox has a plethora of security add-ons, including McAfee Site Advisor.
*Checked online to see if anyone has posted the exact same message.
*On suggestion, ran Rustbfix.exe; no rootkit found.
*Windows Updates are all installed.
*Checked for unfamiliar running processes.
*I have a fan on my CPU & my GPU.
----------------

Problems that may or may not be involved.
----------------
*WD My Book drive sucks; had to run recovery software on it 3 months after installing it. Has low performing system files Diskkeeper has no efect on, another defrager indicates a bad sector, Avast showed an image & two Found.000, Found 001 files with "cyclic redundancy check." Warrently nullified due to cat damagge to the packaging & missing recipt.

*Worn-out graphics card overheats easily. Had a little problem with my last driver update & had to downgrade. Honestly don't know if I'm supposed to install over old drivers or remove oldones & install fresh.

*On a network connection. Another computer in the house had a BSOD the day after, though not the same one.

*CPU usage skyrockets when running using anything runing Adobe products, Apple software (quicktime, itune), or Java.

*No way known to me of testing if updated Firefox extensions & User Styles are conflicting.

Edited by LikaLaruku, 11 September 2010 - 11:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:13 AM

If this has just recently started, try doing a System Restore.

Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore.

When this opens make sure that "Restore my computer to an earlier time" is chosen, and click on Next>.

The dates appearing in bold are the dates that you can restore to, click on the date that you want and then click Next> to start the System Restore. This may take a long time to complete, and when it is done it will restart your computer. When the computer restarts and you have logged on as the administrator a Restoration Complete page will appear, click on OK to complete the process.

If this is a driver related issue this should correct it, if you choose a date prior to this trouble starting.

There are several things that can cause this, a problem with hardware is one of these. I would suggest replacing the graphics card if it is failing and overheating.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:15 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

Your description makes your PC sound like a very tired and sickly being.

But don't despair, a little TLC may get this tired machine up and running again. :thumbsup:

The name CAT brings to my mind, cat hair. Believe it or not, cat hair is air-born and sooner or later your computer will suck in enough cat hair to make a new cat with! :flowers:

I believe your computer may need a little bit of internal house cleaning.

I also believe your hard drive has been developing a few bad sectors here and there. It happens with age, there are hard drive diagnostic tools that help with this problem.

One is chkdsk /r Or for more information read this chkdsk information for Windows XP. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Another is the disk diagnostic tools that is supported by your hard drive. I believe you used the prefix of WD which is Western Digital, there is a hard drive diagnostic tool at this link.

EDIT: ADDED CORRECT HARD DRIVE UTILITY LINK for Digital external hard drive--My Book Essential. The link to this diagnostic disk utility is below

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...110&lang=en

This is the download link to the disk utility http://support.wdc.com/product/download.as...d=3&lang=en Instructions on how to use this software are on this page please read the instructions carefully!

If your video card is over-heating this too is a sign that your computer needs a bit of house cleaning.

This is performed by opening the computer and gaining access to the various heat sinks located inside. Most people purchase a can of compressed air, these cans can be bought on line or at any electronics parts shops or places that sell computer supplies.

You can use this compressed air to blow dust and animal hair out of the computers heat sinks and the computer case altogether.

Cooling fans need to be clear of dust and be spinning freely to remove heat from the components they are protecting.

Make sure those cooling fans are not clogged with dust.

Before I give you too much to work with, I'll take a breather and allow you to report back your hard drives information, such as model number and I will post back a link to the correct disk diagnostic tool to run.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards as always and thank you for using Bleepingcomputer for help and assistance.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 September 2010 - 12:35 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 12:44 AM

Honestly don't know if I'm supposed to install over old drivers or remove oldones & install fresh.

I over looked this quote you made.

Anytime you install or update a hardware driver, is most important that you un-install the old or orignal driver first, before upgrading or installing a new driver.

This can cause driver corruption, hardware issues and problems with the windows hardware entries in the windows registry tree.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 12 September 2010 - 12:47 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 LikaLaruku

LikaLaruku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

Well, I reinstalled both my graphics card & Firefox & had gone crash-free until just a few minutes ago. Got a whole new BSOD this time.

***Stop: 0X000000C5 (0X0075003D, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0X8054B168).

Told me to run the Driver Verifier, so I looked up instructions on how to do that. Didn't work; got another stop error on bootup & had to reboot into safe mode & disable verifier.

I/O SYSTEM VERIFICATION ERROR in fsvga.sys (WDM driver error 21f) [fsvga.sys+21a4 at F69D71A4].

I'm sure it's my graphics card; it only crashes when I'm playing games. When I first got it, I'd play games 8-11 hours a day on weekends. Think about a 2-dayer in Morrowind with 200 mods installed. Yeah, so should I play it safe, disable my card & use onboard graphics until I can get a new card? Should I try Verifier again or some 3ed party drive checker? Any other suggestions?

I tried to read the fsvga.sys & this much was legible:

*This program cannot be run in DOS mode.
*DEVICE/FSVideo.
*The Full Screen Video devices do not exist or were not detected.
*Not enough memory was available to allocate internal storage needed for the device %1.
*The hardware locations for %1 could not be translated to something the Memory Management System understands.
*The hardware resources for %1 are already in use by another device.

Should I just drop this & start anew in the hardware forums?

Edited by LikaLaruku, 15 September 2010 - 06:08 PM.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)
No installation required.
Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.
When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.
Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 LikaLaruku

LikaLaruku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

No need, I disabled my graphics card & haven't had any problems in days. Thanks anyway ^_^

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,611 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

Cool :thumbsup:
Thanks for posting back :flowers:

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users