Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what files do i need to perform these minor tweaks?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 don wolfani

don wolfani

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:10 PM

hello everyone.
first of all i would like to ask is there an up to date version of wine or another program that will allow me to run windows software on my mandriva 2010 laptop?
2nd question will i need any additional files to allow my wireless card to work? i plan on using wifi and i just need to know.
3rdwhere can i download video codecs, etc, for movie player and other programs that codeina will attempt to auto update incase it fails?
4thcan i get a linux version of winamp as well as the i am listening to addon for it so my music will be published to facebook.
5th are there any updates for firefox or any programs which will allow me to play .swf files? i have a collection of vids and games that are in this format.

i cant think of anymore yet and yes i do realize some of these are really unnecesary and the like but they are also things i tend to use pretty regularly and would not like to be chained to a windows machine again just for this stuff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 don wolfani

don wolfani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

ph wait one more request please and thank you.
does anyone know where i can get some archize software comparable to 7zip for linux i have some archived things here and there.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:18 AM

What flavor aka distribution of Linux are you using?

#4 don wolfani

don wolfani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:23 PM

mandriva linux 2010 spring the all freeware version
I just got it up and running yesterday and finally found a wifi spot so i could test it out online as well as get all the updates from mandriva

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 12 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

How have you gotten the updates if through yum then you may try yum install wine or via the software manager. As for the codecs then use the same method.

#6 don wolfani

don wolfani
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2010 - 03:29 PM

no i used the update your system link in the config computer screen.
it downloaded rpm packages and things for me.
and after that flash works finally so no need to help with swf files but im not sure about anything else yet.

#7 maladmin

maladmin

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

Running windows apps under wine is always a bit hit or miss. Many apps just won't work under wine, there isn't much you can do about this. VirtualBox is often a good way of getting a windows environment under linux if you really need it.

As you probably know by now winamp isnt available for linux, however there are many alternatives xmms2 and rhythmbox being but two.

Rhythmbox can be configured to update your status in empathy (a chat client), in turn empathy can be configured to update facebook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users