Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cookie Troubles...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kain

Kain

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:45 AM

Before I get into the problem, let me first cover some of the basics, software...

Browser: IE 6.0/AOL 6.0
Spyware Removers: Ad-Aware SE & Xoftspy
Anti-Virus AVG-Free
Firewall None

Ok, now that the software is covered. A bit of a backstory. I came about this computer at a Yard Sale one day. Reason I even thought twice about it was because my other computer which I have had for about 7 years started acting up and having problems with hardware going out toward the earlier part of this year. I would say I have had this computer for maybe, 4-5 months maybe. It didn't have many issues the day I first turned it on after buying it, other then the usual case of some programs that hadn't been uninstalled correctly and simply had the files deleted for those programs.

I'd say, maybe a month ago, it started showing signs of trouble. I'm not really sure what has brought this problem about because I don't recall installing any programs that would conflict with IE causing the problem around the time it arose. I think it might be a Spyware issue or something causing my current trouble.

The problem itself is with the Cookie Settings. If I go to certain Web Pages like MSN.com or TVguide.com and try to log into my account then I will receive a message telling me that my Settings are preventing the use of Cookies or something similar of that nature. Yet, some other places that require Cookies are just fine, for instance, forums. (Proboards & InvisionFree)

I go into the IE properties to try and resolve this issue. I click on the “Privacy” tab to get to the Cookies Settings and find out that the Security Level is sitting on “Custom.” So the first thing I think to do is click “Default” and that should take care of the issue. It goes smooth, it acts like it's set back on “Default” after I click it, bringing back the slider bar and everything. All is good, “Apply", “OK.” But the problem is still there. I go back into settings and it's magically set back to “Custom.” I can try this method a hundred times over and it still results in it magically being set back on “Custom” seemingly as soon as I hit “OK."

After seeing it just change itself back to “Custom” almost like a magic trick, I figured there may be a Virus and/or Spyware/Adware/Malware programs interfering. Ran both Spyware cleaners I currently have loaded and also ran AVG for virus'. I made sure all was properly updated before running the scan though. Yet, all three programs came up clean. I'm really lost for ideas as to what might be causing the problem.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can get this problem cleared up and have a hassle free time on my PC again. If there are any more factors that you need to know before being able to attempt to help me solve this issue. Just ask and I'll supply you with the information to the best of my ability.

Thanks,
“Kain”

PS - At one time, I had Spyware Doctor loaded on this PC. Though, I had to uninstall if because it suddenly started bringing up a box about an authorization code for it to even load.

EDIT: I realize that this may have been placed in the wrong area. Sorry, I'm new here and looked for the best place and didn't really see any dead givaways as to where to post it so thought I'd be on the safe side and post it in a broad section. If it is indeed in the wrong section, by all means, move it to the correct area if you'd be so kind.

Edited by Kain, 09 November 2005 - 11:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 10 November 2005 - 03:17 PM

Hi Kain and welcome to BleepingComputer!

I would uninstall XoftSpy. Here is the writeup : Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites

I would:

Run the on-line free virus scans from PandaSoft and TrendMicro.

Next download and run Spybot Search and Destroy as well as Ad-Aware. Please update check for updates to these programs before use and reboot in between scans. Here is the link for Spybot: Spybot Search and Destroy

Instructions to use Spybot Search and Destroy can be found HERE
Instructions to use Ad-Aware SE can be found HERE

I would also clean out cookies and temp files. Let me know if you need instructions.

See if that takes care of the problems.

If it doesn't, you may wish to post a HighjackThis log to the HJT forums These people are very good. One word about HJT forums... They stay busy so you have to be patient. They handle on first come first served basis. Once you post, do not bump, or add a second post. The team looks for a "0" in the replies box. If they see anything else, they will think you are being helped.

I hope this helps,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#3 Kain

Kain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 03:42 AM

Well, I got rid of Xoftspy like you suggested first off. Then I went on with the rest...

PandaSoft came up with two hits on “Virus'” and it took care of them for me, it also got two hits on “Spyware” but it doesn't take care of those problems, unfortunately. I tried to do the TrendMicro scan after this, but the problem was not taken care of by the PandaSoft scan and thus I was unable to undergo the scan with TrendMicro due to the fact that it requires cookies.

Since I was getting nowhere with that, I moved into your other suggestions. Downloaded and installed Spybot like in the Tutorial you left, it came up with like 9 hits I believe. It took care of them nice and easy but the Cookie problem was still present. Ad-Aware came up clean though, not even a single hits, so dunno about that.

I emptied my Temp Int. Files/Cookies as I do usually after each time I log off the net. That seemed to have no effect on the problem either.

I appreciate your help very much. Wish we could have gotten this annoying problem cleared up, but I am still greatful for your help. I'll look into posting a HJT Log in the forum and keep my fingers crossed that the log can point to the problem and eventual fix.

Thannks,
“Kain”

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 11 November 2005 - 07:53 AM

Hi Kain,

When you post in the HJT forums, you may wish to refernece this post. It will give the team member there a background on what you have tried.

Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users