Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows XP - Virus shield blocking all applications

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 jaysson

jaysson

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 11 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

I am running windows XP. I have a virus/malware that is blocking any applications from opening and keeps sending me warning messages. I've run spybot in Safe mode but the infection is still there. I can not download to the computer or do anything web related without out pop-ups that block me from running applications.

I was able to run a HiJack This log and save, put it on a memory stick and send it from my work computer but my version is 2.0.2 and the admin won't let me post it.

I tried to download the hijack this in safe mode from a stick and got an admin settings message...

Please advise how to proceed....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 16 September 2010 - 06:47 PM

Hi,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.
  • Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. You can subscribe by clicking the Options box to the right of your topic title and selecting Track This Topic.

• Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.

• Please reply to this post so I know you are there.
The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.

Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.

Thanks thumbup2.gif
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#3 jaysson

jaysson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

I'm here.

#4 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:27 PM

This could take some time, just to let you know.

You will need to use the flashdrive to download the following programs from a clean PC

Go to this site and download the .exe file fix

Please download ComboFix from one of these locations:
Please download MBRCheck

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

When you have done this attempt to plug the flashdrive into the infected PC and try and drag it onto the desktop. If that is possible then do this:

Disable your antivirus before running ComboFix, as it will prevent ComboFix from working.

Run ComboFix using these instructions:

Click the Windows 'Start' button > Select 'Run' - then copy/paste the following bolded text into the run box & click OK.

"%userprofile%\desktop\comfix.exe" /killall

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply.

I expect some obstructions to this plan. Let me know how it goes.
Posted Image

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hi,

I have not had a reply from you for 3 days. Can you please tell me if you still need help with your computer as I am unable to help other members with their problems while I have your topic still open. The time taken between posts can also change the situation with your PC making it more difficult to help you.

If you like you can PM me.

Thanks,

m0le
Posted Image

#6 jaysson

jaysson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 04:39 PM

All programs downloaded to portable drive and dropped on desktop. Had to disconnect internet connection to save/load anything. All programs added successfully. Ran malware bytes, quarentined found objects, log generated and attached. Ran combofix as requested, attached. Got a message when running combofix that "microsoft windows recovery console was not installed or the currently installed version needs updating" so some features would not be attempted.

Thanks again for all your help.

Attached Files

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

That's an okay start. I did just ask for Combofix to be run but the MBAM would have followed.

Please rerun Combofix as shown below

1. Close any open browsers.

2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

3. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the box below into it:

DDS::
uInternet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:6092

Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as Comfix.exe (called ComboFix.exe in the below graphic)

Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exe

If the program requests for you to update Combofix then click Yes.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt which I will require in your next reply.

Now please boot into normal mode and give some links a try and see if they still get blocked.
Posted Image

#8 jaysson

jaysson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

Used notepad file with combo fix, log generated and attached. Surfed around with internet connected, no signs of any leftover infection or pop-ups. No trouble to report.

Attached Files

#9 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

Yes, it looks good. thumbup2.gif

Please run the ESET scanner to clear out any infected files, etc
  1. Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  2. Click the button.
  3. For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    1. Click on to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    2. Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  4. Check
  5. Click the button.
  6. Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  7. Leave the top box checked and then check
  8. Push the Start button.
  9. ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  10. When the scan completes, push
  11. Push , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  12. Push the button.
  13. Push
NOTE: If no malware is found then no log will be produced. Let me know if this is the case.
Posted Image

#10 jaysson

jaysson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:28 PM

instructions followed, no issues. see attached log

Attached Files

#11 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:45 PM

The log is a mixture of quarantined items, system restore copies and the last two entries are the trojan files which accessed the PC in the first place.

How is the PC running now?
Posted Image

#12 jaysson

jaysson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

We have 2 users on our computer (myself and my wife). When I log in under my name, no surfing problems and no pop-ups. For my wife we have no pop-ups, but she can not log on to the internet, she keeps a no connection messege. Do I need to repeat some steps under her log on? Thanks

Edited by jaysson, 23 September 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#13 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:13 PM

Yes, that would be a good thing to do. Log on to her account and then run Combofix as before and post the log.
Posted Image

#14 jaysson

jaysson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:02 AM

ran combofix and malware bytes, logs attached. After running both I can now get on the internet via the wife's account.

Attached Files

#15 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:10 PM

Please run ESET next
  1. Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  2. Click the button.
  3. For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    1. Click on to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    2. Double click on the icon on your desktop.
  4. Check
  5. Click the button.
  6. Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  7. Leave the top box checked and then check
  8. Push the Start button.
  9. ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  10. When the scan completes, push
  11. Push , and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  12. Push the button.
  13. Push
NOTE: If no malware is found then no log will be produced. Let me know if this is the case.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users